Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Conditions moderate, bicycling resumes

Nice day, temperature in the 70s, dew point in the 50s, light NW winds. I went for a bicycle ride.

I often say that all of my ride routes seem to lead to the top of a hill. On the top of many hills you find a water tower and it seems to me that I have ridden past the water tower of every municipality within bicyle distance. This one is, duh, Shoreview and I ride past it with great regularity.I spent some time yesterday reading some blogs instead of riding. I found a couple of really good thoughts on Fat Cyclist. The first is about a recurring controversy that seems to separate bicyclists into contentious groups:

"Debates over what kind of cycling is best are totally futile. The best kind of cycling is the kind YOU like best."

I like that. The other is an insight into how hard bicycling sometimes is:

"On big climbs everyone rides alone."

And then I found a really good piece on Belgium Knee Warmers in the June 27 post. The post is about Lance Armstrong and his dedication to his craft. It is nominally about losing weight and I even though I am not trying to lose weight the descriptions of Lance's routine rang a bell with me. I am not trying to lose weight, in fact sometimes I have to work to keep my weight up. But I am living by necessity a very regimented lifestyle. The following is a quotation from the post which could just as well be about my schedule:

"(Lance would)come back from a training ride and skip lunch. As he said, 'I was hungry all the time.'

At first, that sensation is disconcerting. Your body says, 'Something’s wrong. We need calories.' You have difficulty concentrating. But after a few days, there is a familiarity; the diet is just part of the routine."

That part could just as well be me.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

Last week I accidentally rode up to the Highland water tower. It's not so easy to get around in this town without climbing a few hills. I don't think I've seen the Shoreview water tower from the seat of a bicycle. And that's ok. I would have been riding alone.

Santini said...

I find some interesting stuff on fatcyclist -- even though he rides hard, climbs, and rides a mountain bike. His long ride descriptions are the core of bike blogging, to me. I like that he isn't a blowhard, too, I guess. Some bike bloggers seem a little too impressed with themselves, and elitist.

Nice water tower -- I swear ours are all at sea level.