Saturday, June 23, 2007

NEWS FLASH: BB sights eight lakes

The day dawned to a complete overcast. However, radar weather showed no nearby precipitation. It was just an overcast, perhaps a high fog bank. But it was coolish so we waited it out a bit. About 10am we geared up and the sun peeked through for the first time as we left the garage. By the time we got home the day had gradually morphed into one of the nicest days in the history of days.

There was too much traffic coming and going from the Fairgrounds so despite a prediction of wind rising out of the SE, we headed north towards the eight lake tour, BB's first attempt at this major ride. One of the problems for this tour is that the preferred Vadnais pit stop is more than fourteen miles into the ride, a couple of miles past the half-way mark. But here she is at Lake Vadnais.The concentration of fisher people has gone way down and we had only a few other people present while we enjoyed the calm and beauty.

It was a major wildlife day. We saw OUR first deer. Like the Michigan deer this one was crossing the bike path. We had just turned off Victoria onto the steep downhill to Snail Lake when I noticed the young doe. She moved off in the general direction of Grass Lake before any possibility of a photo presented itself.

Then as we left Vadnais I noticed an eagle on the exposed flats out from the south shore of the lake. There was also a white heron and some other creatures who may have been cormorants. I could not pause for a photo or for more complete identification as BB had already launched herself into climb mode for the hill up to Rice Street and she scolded me for stopping. *sigh* But we got home before any adverse winds picked up so I am going to label the excursion as a nice ride.

I need also to make a brief mention of yesterday's ride. I got home early and desparately wanted to ride but it absolutely felt like rain. Finally I decided to go out anyway but to stay close to home. I rode fifteen miles without crossing Snelling or Larpenteur. This means I had ridden at least once on most of the streets available within that corner of Roseville and Lauderdale. Eventually I got up a bit of courage and ventured over to Saint Anthony Park. I was riding past Langford Park when the sun briefly poked through. All in all a pretty strange ride but also strangely satisfying.

Another I need to mention is that last week BB noticed ground disturbance in the corn field. I took a look and it appeared to me that the corn had been cultivated. I am sure that will be the only time as the crop has now exceeded the height at which you can drive a tractor over the plants without damaging them. The corn looks good don't you think?Babe for scale.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

The corn is definitely ahead of schedule. It won't be long and the model will have to pose in front of the field in order to be seen.

A nice long ride for a nice long day in June. Do you have the names of the lakes in the order you get to them?

Santini said...

8 lakes, 2 bikes and 3 water bottles? And the Babe looks quite young and fresh in that photo. I saw some strangely monstrous sized corn on 152nd yesterday. It is fun to watch your field of corn grow. I never used to pay any attention to our corn until you started this series.

Good wildlife sightings. Some fun now, eh? We'll have this to look back on when the November winds howl.