Monday, April 30, 2007

Soccer hooligans in France

Rain this afternoon, no ride. The month ends without that last day push that I find is something that I commonly do. Missing that push is probably a good thing. I didn't need the push, either physically or for the annual total. After a rough start to the month because of inclement weather I got in lots of rides towards the end of the month. A rule that I often ignore is that rest days are good days. As I was reminded after last week's fall and subsequent day off, I am always a lot stronger after a day off.

This is the Cathedral St. Pierre et St. Paul in Nantes, site of the promulgation of the Edict of Nantes in 1598. The Edict signified a historic moment of religious tolerance during a period of religious wars in France and in Europe.

In other news from Nantes, the following is as reported by the Associated Press:

Barthez fears fans, will leave French club
April 30, 2007

PARIS (AP) -- Former French national goalkeeper Fabien Barthez is quitting Nantes, saying angry and threatening fans have made him fear for his safety. Several fans surrounded his car as he left the stadium and tried to pull him out.

Barthez, a World Cup and European Championship winner with France, has made costly errors in recent games and was jeered by fans during Saturday's game. Nantes is in last place in the French league after a 2-0 loss at home to Rennes.

"I'm not going to play again with Nantes," Barthez said on France-Info radio Monday. "A gang of five or six guys came to block me from leaving the stadium. They were there to rub me out, as they said."

Barthez said fans are free to boo, but he draws the line at threats.

"To whistle me throughout the match, I accept that, that's part of the atmosphere," he said. "With Nantes, I would have gone to the end, but that goes beyond the realm of sports."

Barthez said the team offered to provide security for him until the end of the season, but he refused.

"I am not ready; I will never live like that," he said. "I no longer feel secure like that, so I prefer to leave."

Barthez, a former goalie for Manchester United, retired after France lost the 2006 World Cup final on penalty kicks to Italy. Nantes president Rudi Roussillon persuaded him to change his mind and he signed with the club in January until the end of the season.

Nantes, an eight-time French champion, faces possible demotion for the first time in 44 years. With four games left in the 20-team French league, Nantes has 30 points -- eight points behind 17th-place Nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the hooligans. Soccer fans aren't always civil, it seems. I used Microsoft Office Picture Manager to brighten the windmill shot -- probably accounts for the intense blue in the sky.

Santini said...

No disrespect taken :)