Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Axis last ride?

Yesterday I rode the full southern route out. Riding on the River Road is always a little different. Every single person out there is racing. I don't race but with all those people buzzing past I guess I felt some pressure to maintain a decent pace. I chased no one, raced no one, but I rode too hard into a fairly strong head wind. Tired. Really tired.

Today I rode out to the north to Grass Lake in what I think was probably the last ride for the Axis. First, when I was at Grass Lake before the dirt path was still muddy in several places so I didn't go all the way through. Today it was dry and I made it all the way to the pavement at the far end. But the ride out was into a fairly strong head wind.

With the combination of a little run down by yesterday's effort and facing a head wind again I was feeling pretty slow. So it was nice to turn back and get a tail wind. I was fast, it was more fun.

So when I got home the very first thing I did was locate and put out my other shoes. Different pedal system, different shoes. I got the road bike shoes out and put them with my helmet and other stuff. I put the cross bike shoes off to the side, hoping they won't be needed again.

We watched some Stanley Cup playoff hockey but it is now between periods. As soon as I finish this I am going down and pump the tires on the Look and I think I may even put it out in the garage.

My plan is to start the road bike season on my next ride.

Look KG 381i, CSC Team frame:Chorus crank, derailers and brifters, Mavic brakes, Look carbon ergopost and Look carbon stem, Deda bars, Proton wheels, Michelin ProRace2 tires, Fizik Plateau saddle. I bought the bare frame at Erik's Warehouse Sale and accumulated the components and assembled the bike myself. This is, in a way no other bike has ever been to this point, MY BIKE.

EDIT: I just carried my bike out of the basement to the garage. It had completely escaped me how light that thing is. WOOHOO! We're about to be havin' some fun now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pigeon Lake was my longest ride to date -- just short of 20 miles, then it rained. You've had some fun on the Axis, I think. Tailwinds 'rock.'