Sunday, August 10, 2014

Wrapping up

The weather except for at sunset has been absolutely spectacular here in Western Michigan since we arrived.  Sunny and rising to 80 yet again today, it is almost getting boring.

I have a bicycle ride for every day that we have been here.  That may have happened before,  I'll check the bike log when I  get home, but even if it has happened it is very, very unusual.

I was solo today for one last shot at what I wanted to see.  I was first introduced to cardinal flowers here, I have since discovered them in the rain gardens near Como Park in the big city south of where we live.  I wanted to get a photo of Michigan cardinal flowers today so that I could compare them with Minnesota cardinal flowers early next week.

To do so I had to check the map.  I know where the flowers are but I have previously been there with a guide.  Today I was going to have to navigate there on my own.  Hint:  Sand north of Van Buren until it magically reverts to 160th, then right straight ahead (RSA) past Port Sheldon nearly to Tyler where the flowers flourish in the right hand side ditch.
I cut inland for a mile and then resumed travel to the north.

We have ridden past this a bunch of times and I always have meant to get a photo but I don't think I ever have.  It is a plaque commemorating the fact that that farm has been in the same family for at least 100 years, a century farm.
It is a blueberry farm now, but maybe not always with that plow out in front.

Also that barn looking thing may have been a barn at one time but that side of the building overhead garage door is a dead giveaway that there is no livestock regularly in that building.

They had another very similar size building off to the left of the photo with another very similar size door.  Today when I was there they were backing a bluberry picker into the other building, almost for sure this other one serves the same storage purpose.

Lest anyone despair it was most definitively NOT a no party store day.  My ride ended up being pretty much a backwards version of my previous ride to West Olive.  This time no denizens of the One Stop came out of the store to see what the heck I was up to.
Phwew.

Down Croswell to the lake shore drive and then south cutting inland at Butternut for a final glimpse this time of the PSPS.  They were muy busy there this afternoon.
As always, who doesn't love fuel with an attitude.

I think whoever parked this car completely athwart of the bike path on James probably loves fuel  with an  attitude but my judgment is that whomever it was has just earned the dickhead of the day award.
That's all the riding for this time, Delta awaits us tomorrow.  It is not the easiest way to get a rest day but on this trip heading for home turns out to be the only way I am going to get one.  Here's hoping for some of this Michigan weather for next week and weekend in Minnesota.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Nice post. Nice ride. Sorry to see the time come to an end.

Mrs Smith said...

I love the cardinal flowers photo.
The West Olive One Stop area looks SO seedy.
Ditto on the nice post and the sorry to see the time come to an end.