Friday, August 3, 2012

This seems ambitious

I ride past Langford Park at least a couple of dozen times a year. Today I was taking the easy way around the Saint Anthony Park loop by ducking down past the park instead of riding all the way up to take on the highest hill in StAPk by taking the left turn at the Speedy Market.

Lots and lots of really local references there, no one from outside the 551xx zip code has even the slightest chance of knowing what I am talking about.

The street had one of those road closed signs and this time they meant it. Often a bicyclist can go ahead and ride through a road closed because they usually mean cars. This time they had road furniture and warning tape stretched from curb to curb so I had to head up the hill after all to get to where I wanted to go.

I didn't have my StAPk alley guide with me (shout out to Roy) but I have been on every street over there lots of times, I wasn't even vaguely disconcerted. Still even though I have seen this before today it struck me.
That seems really ambitious to me. It is perhaps worth noting that it is at the intersection of Hillside and Knapp.

So I have known who wins the 100 fly since about 1:45 this afternoon (a couple of minutes after it was actually held) and yet I find myself waiting around listening to the TV running in the other room to see the race. I want to see it, that's why.

Insulting, that's what it is.

I am plenty OK with the idea of an evening highlights show, especially for those who, unlike me, have a job or something and are not available to keep up with events live as THEY ACTUALLY HAPPEN. But the coy way NBC pretends that you are going to see it and discover it for the first time? It's just really annoying.

Insulting, that's what it is.

At least the track meet has started.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I've definitely seen terraced yards before -- the one that comes to mind it the Bechtals -- next door to the Andersons -- next door to 108 Hartley Ave. (Now that's a local reference.) In that case it was the back yard, down to the alley. But I've never seen anyone with plantings in the middle of a retaining wall like that. Interesting.

I saw some of the track stuff last night -- those women can fly.