Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A look back

Today the two hour ride took one hour, 58 minutes and about 32 seconds. Any sign of actual fitness in this season of not enough riding is welcome.

However, when one rides with that much single mindedness one doesn't really actually pause for any photo opportunities.

I have about 4 or 500 pictures of France. Here's one that hasn't been published here before, a look at the beauty of Omaha Beach.
The ravine which US forces forced open by 3pm on D-Day is below the brow of that hill in screen center, leading off towards the left.

Omaha Beach is really pretty.

But really what today's post is about is gas mileage and the price of gas.

I had a rental car, a 5 speed straight stick medium size Opel.  The last time I rented a car in France it used diesel, not the case this time, I was using gasoline.

I drove 1,201.3 km before the final refueling at the base of the hill in Rouen (the train station car rental return was at the top of the hill).  I filled up twice, a total of 85.45 liters.  That works out to about 14.06 kilometers per liter.

Don't worry, it gets slightly more interesting.

Converting to miles I drove about 746.5 miles.  Converting to gallons I used about 22.57 gallons.  That works out to about 33.07 miles per gallon.  So that part is pretty good.

I saw gas for as low as 1.57 euros per liter and for as high as 1.72 per liter.  Both times I bought gas I paid 1.62 euros per liter.  That works out to about 6.1333 euros per gallon.

I haven't seen the bill yet so I am unsure of the exchange rate but I was usually acting under the assumption while I was there that the exchange rate was approximately $1.23 per 1 euro.  That works out to about $7.54 per gallon, a new personal record.

Gas in Roseville is still under $4 per gallon and looks more like a bargain now than it did a month ago.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Good post! Love the numbers, the conversion to gallons and dollars. I knew petrol was expensive on the continent, (I've been to New Zealand, you know) but I was shocked at your final number.

True story -- I handed Nikki the keys to her new car with these words -- "You're about to find out why grown ups have jobs." It's been about 2 months, and she completely understands what I meant.

Emily M said...

Wow, that is more expensive than I would have assumed. Then again, I didn't do much driving in France.

Santini - Excellent story about Nikki and the need for gas money. So true.