Friday, August 17, 2012

Landmarks

Today I rode the triangle route, north to the PSPS, then the diagonal down to the bike shop, then back to the dunes along Ottawa Beach Road with an excursion through the Woods. It was coolish for August and lots of the riding was in the shade, a perfect antidote to the days of riding in too much heat.

Riding this route gave me a chance to visit several of what have become landmarks for me during the now 10 years that I have owned a bicycle in Michigan.

Here is the ancient abandoned stone gate north of here on Lakeshore. I long ago took to calling this Stonehenge.
A little bit farther along that way is the Port Sheldon Party Store.
Something that I noticed this year that I have never noticed before is that they are not just selling gas up there, they are selling "Fuels with an Attitude."

Gas was selling for $3.82 per gallon out there today. For anyone keeping track that's about 81 eurocents per liter. Some will recall that we recently paid 1 euro 62 per liter for gas in France. Those two numbers make a nice, useful comparison, I think. Gas costs twice as much in France as it does at the Port Sheldon Party Store.

A trip down the diagonal leg along Butternut led eventually to a passing of the local bicycle shop.
I made it back to base in plenty of time for dinner at Turk's (a local joint).

And then there was only today's sunset to complete yet another nice day in Western Michigan.
And I know there are lots of you who have been waiting with baited breath for this report: Ligue 2 football is underway for another year in France. Today FC Nantes scored a 0-2 victory of Tours in Tours, for the always gratifying full 3 points on the road. Filip Djordjevic scored both goals. Four games have been played by all of the contenders except Monaco and Auxerre, both of which could move ahead of Nantes in the table with a victory. But for today FC Nantes sits second on the table with 8 points on two wins and two draws.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

That's a longish ride, though some of it was on busier streets than I'd choose. An inside the park home run.

Mrs. Smith said...

I especially like the Stonehenge photo and the sunset one is my favorite from that genre of the trip so far.