Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Don't hurt yourself

It was pretty hot today, record or near record heat. But I convinced myself that it is near record heat for the end of August which seemed to me to be considerably less daunting than near record heat for the end of July.

Near record heat for the end of August is now officially daunting enough.

TOPWLH wished me a safe journey and counseled than I should not hurt myself. Excellent advice which I came a little too near to not taking. It felt towards the end like I was going to hurt myself.

But not, I am OK, at least so far.

Tomorrow if I go I am going early.

Do you see what has happened here? This is the residue of the new sidewalk project along Fairview.
They added the sidewalk on the other side of the road and also added a couple of feet of pavement on either side of the street. Up until now it was a little uncertain exactly what the purpose of the slightly wider shoulders was. The master plan has become clear.

Look closely, what they have done is scour off the old lines, moved the center line closer to the opposite side of the street, moved the shoulder line on that side to the edge of the new pavement, moved the shoulder line on this side nearly to the edge of the new pavement, all of which leaves room for, eureka, a bike lane.

So sidewalk/bike path on that side and a bike lane on this side of the street.

Today's mileage milestone is 1,000 miles this bike this year. Here's where I was when I reached that number.
I knew Ray Bissonnette, he deserves to have those tennis courts named in his honor. He lived in the house across the street and provided excellent service to that recreation center in the area of his interest, tennis.

I remarked a couple of days ago when the corn was last featured that it looked about ready for harvest.
This is at the end of the ride and as I mentioned above, I was feeling pretty used up but I still had enough left for a little road bike cyclocross out into the grass next to the corn patch to get a decent sun angle for the photos.
One from the front, one from the back.

Any questions?

2 comments:

Santini said...

Forewarned is for-armed. I'll try to get out early tomorrow.

I like nice, round numbers. They feel like I've accomplished something.

TOPWLH said...

Glad you took my advise. Good post.