Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fishing opener

Today is the official fishing season opener so I rode out to the lake where I often see people fishing. It is just a tiny bit gross that people fish there, the lake is a holding reservoir for the drinking water in, among other places, Saint Paul and Roseville.

I was a little surprised, I expected a larger crowd.
In fact, I have seen larger crowds there in years past. I suspect this may be the last big one out there though as, as reported earlier, the roadway is being removed and by fishing opener next year the access to the lake will be pedestrian and bicycle only, no motor vehicles allowed.

I heard on cable TV that the average amount of exercise for Americans is 2 hours per week. The report went on to state that the recommended amount is 4 hours per week.

4 hours per week? Really? I am doing more than my share.

The people who are getting 2 hours per week will most likely not be walking in to Lake Vadnais while carrying their fishing gear. I confidently predict that next fishing opener will feature a much smaller crowd fishing in my drinking water.

On the way home I passed this milestone.
I get to make up the category (it is, after all, my blog) and that milestone pushes me into the family lead with most bicycles owned with at least 5,000 miles ridden.

I fully realize that I am trailing in the category of most bicycles owned with at least 10,000 miles ridden. Please note that I expect that later on this summer I will get back into that game although actually catching up is likely at least a couple of years away, probably more.

5,000 is a nice category though.

For anyone wondering, here's the totals after today's ride:

FirstLOOK: 20,000
Crown Jewel: 9,122 (see above note about bicycles owned with 10,000 miles ridden.
Bianchi: 6,444
NewLOOK: 5,008

And for general illustrative purposes:

Axis: 4,334
Michigan blue: 2,722

I am seeing over 47,500 miles just on bicycles that I still own.

French football is nearly over for the year. FC Nantes had a horrible start to the season and although they later rebounded to be a quite respectable mid-table side, the start kept them from ever seriously contending for promotion. Mid-table is better than they have been the last couple of years but one cannot celebrate. As the French language FC Nantes fan website notes, we are, after all, talking about LIGUE 2.

2 comments:

Santini said...

There has been a lot of math on the blogs lately. (It's a good thing.)

Very nice numbers. I didn't realize you had that many miles on Michigan Blue. (It seems to be doing fine in its current location. Though the occasional visitor to that location has expressed surprise at seeing it there.)

Retired Professor said...

It helps that you have the family lead in "most bicycles owned." I think.