Thursday, May 17, 2012

South rim

Those who also have a large percentage of the genetic material I am toting around will know that I am descended from a person who rationalized a life with no appearances at the Grand Canyon by stating that it was just a big hole in the ground and that he had seen  plenty of big holes in the ground, including the extremely big and impressive hole in the ground which was fairly near to our home known then as the Hull-Rust Mine (more commonly called the Hull-Rust-Mahoning in the modern era).

I too have seen the Hull-Rust Mahoning several dozen times in my life but I had never previously been to the Grand Canyon.  Now I have.

Sorry, Pops.  You were wrong.

We parked at the first place you come to inside the park which promises access to the rim, Mather Point.  We parked the car and walked out of the brush and up to the rim.

I dunno.  It almost renders photography irrelevant.  Somewhat like the Hoover Dam yesterday but even more so, the big canyon  is so, so much bigger than what can be captured even in 8 megapixels.

But I was there, I had a camera, I gave it a shot.

Our very first view, from Mather Point overlook.
The morning air was a bit hazy but you take the photos that are available on the day that you are there.

We walked along the rim for two and a half miles or so before lunch.  We had only just begun when I tried this one.  I was worried because it was facing back about quartering into the sun, usually not a good camera angle.
Eventually I got the model involved.  At first I had to hold her hand and walk her out to a spot where she could hold onto a bush.  I have a couple of amusing photos of that but this one is better as she musters all of her courage and just stands there only a couple of long steps away from a sheer cliff and a 2,000 foot drop.
I only got one wildlife shot.
Another fellow was standing there taking the same shot. He remarked that it wasn't very fierce wildlife. I suggested that it just depends upon how big the enlargement is.

Here's a look down into the canyon looking at a campground 4.5 miles from the trail head on the rim.  People hike down there, camp overnight and then complete the rest of a 6 mile hike to Plateau Point.  I have a better shot of the plateau here somewhere, I just thought the foliage frame and the campground made an interesting image.
Eventually we had lunch at the El Tovar Hotel near Hopi Point.  This is from a bit further along near the Kolb Lookout.
From the same area but facing more west.
And here's that look out towards Plateau Point with a good look at the trail.
The sub canyon running up towards the other rim there is the Bright Angel trail path as it leads away from the river towards the North Rim.  Bright Angel is the most popular cross canyon hiking trail.

We spent a lot of time getting oriented out there today and are probably headed back tomorrow to try to get a little bit further off the very well beaten paths.

It is a grand canyon.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Excellent Dad story. I remember it well.

A healthy fear of edges adjacent to long drop offs is an excellent survival attribute. Common in the highly evolved.

Our kids were in high school when we were there. It sticks with you. Lovely. Great pics.

Emily M said...

Very, very cool. Did we see the Hull-Rust-Mahoning during one of the TRAMs? I was amazed at that, so I can't even begin to imagine the giant-ness of the Grand Canyon. Andy and I will have to go.

Lovely photos.