Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pleasant late September day

If Monday was the first day of summer today was clearly the first day of fall. Not only did I wear a jacket today I added on leg covering. The temperature reached only about 15C.

But I had a Guest Rider today who kept proclaiming it to be a beautiful day. I have no idea what she was smoking. Her interpretation of the word beautiful was based on the near constantly visible patches of blue sky. My issue with her interpretation is that the sun, that thing that produces warmth, appeared in the patches of blue sky infrequently.

The sun had ducked out from behind the big cloud as we neared home so we stopped for a corn check. This area was under water but it looks like maybe these plants were well enough established that they are going to survive and perhaps even thrive.
Guest Rider for perspective.

We both did pretty well considering that neither one of us is really well trained at this point. I dropped her off at home (after 20 miles) and took another loop for the desired mileage (it IS near the end of the month).

Here's a marker I had never noticed before, perhaps because given that it looks quite new and that I ride past there fairly frequently it probably hasn't been there for long.  Certainly the school has only been gone for four years.
It wasn't anything very imposing, a one room frame building.  If I had known while it was still standing that it was special perhaps I would have paid it more attention, but alas. I guess the current owner of that parcel of land (looks like the University to me) tired of maintenance and had it razed.

The really most interesting thing to me is that the location of Rose Town's first school is so very clearly now in Falcon Heights.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Old one room school houses are cool.

It looks more like early spring than early fall, though. That boggy corn patch is the most telling sign of the season.

TOPWLH said...

I was much more knackered than I look. It was a nice ride, though.