Saturday, September 26, 2009

Nicollet Island

We had actual rain yesterday, the first significant rain of the month. I got out for a short walk but honestly probably came up a bit short on that one hour outside every day for a year promise. It was raining.

I am still committed to the idea and intend to get out for an hour on days when it is snowing or when it is cold. But rain? Rain is so . . . wet.

And now the temperatures are threatening to return to normal. Just as we get used to the idea of endless August it appears that October will arrive on schedule. Our overnight low was in the low 50s.

But today was NICE. After a cool start the temperature reached 76 on the thermometer in our front yard at 3:30 as I returned from a nice ride.

I was a little uncertain of wind direction as I started. I knew it was south but southwest or southeast still seemed up for grabs so I took that loop through the Fairgrounds that I have been riding a lot of late, testing the wind in the various directions. It was a fabulous day at the Fairgrounds as there are TWO big events going on over there.

At the northeast corner of the grounds there was some sort of dog show. It was a big enough deal that there was a fair food shack open.

I took this picture of the wind turbine blade that has been pictured here before. I think that the fabulous blue sky behind the blade makes that a good picture without there having to be more content. But that isn't even the real reason why I took the picture.

Nope, that picture is to prove that even as late as today, September 26, it is still possible to purchase sausage on a stick at the Fairgrounds. You might have to zoom in on the photo but you should be able to tell that that stand is open and that there on the white portion of the above the window sign, towards the right appears: "Corn dogs". Sausage on a stick.

At the opposite corner of the grounds there is a big horse show. They have lots of horse shows over there. I ride there a lot, I see it all the time. This one, however, must be one of the largest shows that they have. The parking lots over there are all full of cars and trucks with horse trailers. Here is a trailer preparing to perform its intended task, transporting horses.
Eventually I decided the wind was more southwest than southeast and so I rode a more westerly route, down through the campus. I didn't want to ride the Stone Arch Bridge which is often my choice when headed over there. It was too nice a day, the bridge promised to be overrun by pedestrians.

Instead I detoured down Main Street and eventually crossed the bridge to Nicollet Island. I was absolutely positive that I had never ridden there on my bicycle. After having ridden there today I was struck by the thought that I may never have been there at all. It was a nice scenic ride around the island on the brick street. I have pictured the Grain Belt Beer sign before. Here it is from behind, photo taken from the parking lot of De la Salle High School.I have settled on the Intercampus Transitway as the only route that I am comfortable with for crossing the railroad tracks that I cross using the Dead Man's Curve passage when it is available. I came back from my ride today along that route. At the north end the transitway sort of dumps you onto the Fairgrounds. You could turn right on Como but it just feels more natural to ride to the end of transitway and cut through the Fairgrounds parking lots and circle back inside the Fairgrounds towards a favorable spot for a Snelling Avenue crossing.

I was in the process of doing just that when I spotted a really nice old car from a distance of a couple of blocks. I thought to myself that the car was on the Fairgrounds on the wrong weekend, that that street rod event was at the beginning of the summer. But it was a really nice looking old car so I turned where I had last seen it and tried to catch up. I lost the trail but cutting back through the grounds spotted the car again. The driver seemed to be on a sight seeing tour of the grounds and was driving slowly so I was able to close up a bit. Eventually I was able to draw alongside and confirm that it was a really nice old Oldsmobile 98. I at first guessed to myself 1957 and got ahead of the classic car so that I could turn around with favorable sun direction and get a photo of the car as he passed.The driver slowed to, I thought, allow me to get the picture, a driver proud of his car.

"A '57?", I inquired.

"56", he replied, "Don't I know you?"

"Larrie?", I asked.

So last week I rode through our old neighborhood and talked to Maurice who now lives in Larrie and Kathy's old house. Today I ran into Larrie himself. Larrie confirms that it is a 56 Oldsmobile 98, a beauty, Larrie's deceased father's car, and Larrie had his mother out for a ride in it on a beautiful fall day. Larrie's father was superintendent of the Fair is what I believe he said and he and his mother were out checking out the sights. To make the whole thing even more interesting just about a week ago TOPWLH and I ran into Kathy in the grocery store.

You can leave the old neighborhood but apparently the old neighborhood never leaves you.

This evening in Nantes, FC Nantes improved to four wins in four starts at home with a 2-1 victory over Nimes. Nantes set an all time Ligue 2 record for fastest goal at the start of a game when defender Remi Maréval scored after just 10 seconds of play. Those familiar with football will know that the opening kickoff must travel forward. The usual procedure at the upper levels of the sport is for one player to roll the ball forward for one circumference of the ball after which another player plays the ball back to his teammates to maintain possession. It is one of the set plays used fairly often at that point to have that player send a long kick towards goal while the forwards move in to try to use field position to gain an advantage. Today the ball was played back to Maréval and he launched one towards goal from 60 meters away. The ball somehow eluded the keeper and went into the net.

Nantes again assumes first place in the table based on goal differential over Caen. Just as last week Nantes must await the result of Caen's game to determine if they are truly in first place. Caen, as they did last week, play on Monday night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gene, great to see you today. My father was the Superintent of Admissions during the State Fair from 1963 to 1983. A fun part-time job for him that also gave friends and family fair time work (and free tickets!). It was a great day for any kind of ride, be it a bike or an old car. Don't you love Minnesota in the autumn. Next time you are biking through Vadnais Heights, stop by Koehler Road.
Keep on riding!
Larrie

gfr said...

Beautiful blue sky. I love the red/black old Olds 98 -- MSU had an Olds 98 -- I think it was a '77. He loved that car.