Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Retirement jewelry

The other shoe finally dropped today. I paid a visit to the 4th floor and Mrs. Smith no longer has a watch. We were unable on short notice to contract for professional forearm models so the photo is of the former Mrs. Smith and myself.

I spent part of this afternoon on retired guy with plenty of free time duty waiting at our dafter's place for delivery of a new bed. I was called upon to sign the delivery receipt for the men before they would leave and when I did so and added the date it occurred to me that today is 9-9-9. I am disappointed at the lack, at least to my ears, of preliminary buzz as this momentous collision of numbers and days approached. I have a vague feeling that 9-9-99 was NOT allowed to pass unremarked upon. In my estimation there should have been, at the very least, a couple of end of the world cults holding vigils. I am disturbed by the alarming dearth of truly disturbed people trying to breathe significance into today's numerical occurrence. Where are crazy people when you really need them?

Perhaps I overreact.

I had to get gas again today. Car miles since June 12 are now 710. Bicycle miles for the same period are now 1,894. Bicycle miles is winning.

2 comments:

gfr said...

Mrs. Smith's watch is very nice. Mr. Smith should own up to not being a young black rapper and get his watch band adjusted to fit his wrist.

Daddy duty?

Nice miles.

Anonymous said...

You tell him, GFR!! That made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Farewell Mrs. Smith.

jilrubia of eleazar