Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Polar bear

Sure enough, on September 2 I was able to pull 2009 mileage back even with 2008 mileage. In looking through last year's log I notice that I had 48 miles in the first 5 days of September. I have 52 in the first 2 days this year. Last year I had 130 miles in the first 13 days of September. It is possible that I will be to 130 miles for this month by as soon as Saturday.

With a pretty brisk wind out of the southeast I again had to avoid a northern route. Today I tried to ride mostly east. I headed out County Road B towards the East Side. County Road B is hilly, the elevation on that ride indicates at least two plunges to the bottom of an iteration of Glacial River Warren.

But I was determined to keep pressing east and eventually got all the way to the big polar bear in North Saint Paul.I tried another route on the way back but it seems pretty obvious that any ride out to the east is going to go through that really deep valley. The nice thing about the ride back was that it took me around the under visited and rarely photographed Lake Phalen.Here is a picture I took while on a ride back in May.Here is pretty much the same spot yesterday when I was on my walk over to the Fair.OK, I am pretty sure I know what comes next but I will just hunker down here and wait for it.

3 comments:

gfr said...

I love 'map my ride.' Though it's not user friendly if you go off the road.

Sausage? On a stick?

Emily M said...

I had a corn dog and it was an excellent example of sausage on a stick.

More photos coming soon to my blog.

gfr said...

I have no clue what your background project is, but I'm sure you'll clear it up eventually. BTW, since you posted a photo of a snowman instead of a polar bear, don't you owe your dedicated readers a photo of the polar bear?