Thursday, September 17, 2009

Honeywell?

The warm and pleasant weather returned today. With wind out of the SW I rode over to Minneapolis. I was mostly just riding around, trying to figure out routes that work for places I might want to go. I was pretty deep into Minneapolis, at 28th Street and 5th Avenue South when I rode past this nice old smokestack.Honeywell, as most of us in Minnesota know, moved its corporate headquarters away after a merger or take over or something quite a few years ago. So this place isn't Honeywell any more. In fact, if you look carefully at the picture, concentrating on that stone at the top of the tower behind the stack, you can discover that this place also isn't the Minneapolis Heat Regulator Company any more either. I rode around to the front of the building and the whole shebang is now Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. I am going to put that down as soft industry replacing hard industry.

When I turned the other way to start heading back for home I spotted this faded old sign painted on the back of a building on Lake Street between 4th and 5th.I rode up close to try to read the second line but it was too faded for me to make a positive identification. It appears to be Boyd's Fire (something) Warehouse. Maybe Fire Safe Warehouse? I don't know, maybe a Boyd would know.

It was a nice day for a ride, I felt strong, I was glad to be out there. There were no particular ride milestones today but Wireless has bicycle news. It is her news so I will leave it to her to spread the word.

Good information about Picasa, I am going to investigate further.

3 comments:

Emily M said...

I was planning to share the bicycle news yesterday but the intertubes were down at my house. I will try again when I get home today...

Excellent post.

gfr said...

Faulty intertubes? That sounds bad.

GZ -- It sounds like you had a pretty good, pretty mellow ride. I'm shocked when I look at the calendar at how little time there is left to ride. This false summer is misleading, but oh, so nice. Especially for the first year of retirement.

gfr said...

Addendum -- I have no clue on the Boyd building, but there used to be such a thing as fire sales. ???

Interesting old buildings.