Thursday, September 3, 2009

In which I try again

The process of winding down has begun. Today I didn't wait for it to be warm enough to ride. Today I faced up to the reality of September. I layered up and went out into the coolish temperatures and rode.

The local weather channel said SE wind so I had to dodge around the Fair again. But once I got past University Avenue it seemed to me that the wind was more SW than SE. I decided to change my route from what I had been thinking and instead tried to get a bit further west. I crossed into Minneapolis (Minneapolis being west) and eventually got this picture of downtown from the south side.That's the IDS over to the left, the tall building in the center is the building which we have always referred to as Spook Central (because of its appearance when lit up at night) and of course, Metropolitan Stadium on the right.

I got a little too far from home before realizing that I had a schedule at home. I was hurrying to get home in time for the scheduled activities of the afternoon and as a result I ended up riding a lot closer to the Fair than I intended to. It worked out OK as I got a chance to visit these old friends:I love those cows, this time I particularly like the sun to shade contrast.

4 comments:

gfr said...

Layering up is good. I, for one, kind of enjoy the process, for a while, at least.

The cows are cool.

Emily M said...

I also love the cows, even if my biking companion thought I was nuts for making him take a small detour.

Unknown said...

The Met Stadium link photo must be pre-1964. Note the absence of the upper deck in left field.

Agatha Christie said...

The Metropolitan Stadium is gone, of course, replaced with the Mall of America. Was' up, Dude?

From Wikipedia:

Location 8000 Cedar Ave. South, Bloomington, Minnesota
Broke ground June, 1955
Opened April 24, 1956
Closed December 20, 1981
Demolished January 28, 1985