Saturday, November 1, 2008

4,000

I didn't get quite as many miles as I wanted in October. I checked the bicycle log for last year and discovered that in something of a surprise I have fallen behind last year's pace. Last year at the end of October I had 3,990 miles, this year I had 3,972.

Part of the reason is that this year on the last day of October, a day with definitely rideable weather, instead we went to a hockey game. Hockey was problematic on Halloween, BB3k didn't want to leave her usual role as the wacky lady with the Groucho nose and glasses handing out candy down at the end of the cul de sac. She finally agreed to do so but only on the condition that Wireless house sit and substitute for her in the handing out of snack sized candy bars. I have not heard the full report so I cannot comment on whether Wireless donned the nose and glasses, perhaps she will provide those details elsewhere on the internet.

In any case it was an early hockey game and we were home by about 8:30. Wireless complained that we had only had 4 groups of trick or treaters by that time. BB3k took over and we had another 3 (I think) groups after that. Closed circuit to sugar buzz control: we have lots of leftover candy.

I took this picture before we left, it is the burning bush again.This time it is a little bit further along in the "burning" and the angle is from the opposite side to highlight the nice lighting on the trees in the neighbor's back yard.

But today was plenty nice, with above average temperatures and a light ESE breeze. BB3k wanted to ride. She has never previously expressed any interest in riding at this point in the season when extra clothing is required. I knew that this was very likely to be her final ride as a return to even average temperatures is going to create conditions where only mad dogs, crazy people, GFR and Gzmoohoo will be out there riding. Uh, actually, that last bit may be a bit redundant. GFR and Gzmoohoo may have been listed multiple times.

I mentioned last week that it had been a long stretch since I had been to Lake Vadnais. Considering that every mile that BB3k rides she rides with me, and considering that she missed last week's Vadnais ride, I realized that this might be her final chance to get to her favorite lake.

I therefore decreed that the ESE wind was mostly east and we could go ahead and ignore one of the corollaries of the Auckland rule and ride out towards the north with a quartering tail wind and ride back into the wind.

And it worked out just fine.

Here is BB3k at Lake Vadnais, about 15 miles into the ride, 11 miles until she would be home.I assert this without documentation but with complete confidence that it is true: This is farthest from home BB3k has been in her life on November 1 without benefit of an automobile.

Last week I noted the change in the hill away from Vadnais. Today we discovered, that as I predicted, she liked the old hill better.

But the big news is as seen in the title of the post. Today I reached my goal, 4,000 miles ridden this year. For those who haven't contemplated what that really means, it's 160 rides of 25 miles each (although I got there today in my 159th) in a riding season of 7 months. Each and every month you have to go out 23 of the 30 days of the month and you have to ride 25 miles. That's a lot of days of riding and a lot of miles.

We approached home with only about 26 miles, I needed 28. I took a short loop through the neighborhood as BB3k headed straight for home. When I arrived at home our across the street neighbor said to me as I circled the cul de sac, "I don't know, Gene, your wife beat you home." I replied with the only truthful thing I could offer, "She's faster than I am."

I love my bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo! Extreme congratulations on a year well ridden.

"mad dogs, crazy people, GFR and Gzmoohoo" ... "may have been listed multiple times." Amusing, and true enough.