Saturday, November 8, 2008

Over so soon?

There were ice pellets on the deck this morning. It is wet outside and too cold to ride. It comes always as a bit of a shock but each year at this time it comes: the realization that that last ride I took may have been the last ride of the year. I expect to ride at least a few more times but . . .

So I return to Greatest Hits 2007: This is Cows, other.I am following the FC Nantes game on the live update feature at the FC Nantes website. As we all know my French is rudimentary and following the games this way is a learning experience. I do suspect that I may be learning a lot of football terms and not so much actually useful conversational French. For instance, I know that "coup franc" is a free kick.

I can translate the following: "Long centre de Paulo Cesar, mais c'est derrière le but d'Alonzo" as a long centering pass by (Toulouse player) Paulo Cesar, but it is behind the goal of (Nantes keeper) Alonzo.

Today I read this in the update notes:

"Il pleut à torrent."

I believe that today it was raining very hard at the stadium in Nantes.

Nantes scored in the 4th minute, surrendered a tying goal in the 19th but then held on for a 1-1 draw with a Toulouse team which as recently as last week had designs on seizing the top spot in the table. It is not a win but it is a "useful" result.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. I love the cows.