Thursday, October 30, 2008

I know what average means

It snowed some over the weekend although to be fair there was never ever a single snowflake that did anything other than instantly melt once it came in contact with the still relatively warm ground. But it did snow, temperatures were only in the 30s in the daytime with quite emphatic freezes overnight bringing an unquestioned end to that whole growing season thing.

But the average high temperature for today where I live is 50 (I know, only 50?!? Who can live in such a place?) But if you are going to have days in the 30s and the average is going to be 50 then you are going to have to have days like today. When I arrived home from work the weather channels reported a temperature of 72!

It was quite windy but it was just way too nice to even think about not riding. I rode in shorts, probably the latest in the year I have ever done so. I did have a long sleeved jersey on because I knew what would happen as soon as the sun started to slip away from the sky. In fact, I had my jacket rolled up and stuck in my jersey pocket and also in fact, I did stop a couple of miles from home and put it on.

But it was a great day, a spectacularly nice day, perhaps OOTND in THO October 30.

I knew it would get dark so I took some pictures in the back yard before I set out to ride. Believe it or not, there are still a few leaves on the trees, particularly the cottonwood. But the ash and the maples and the chokecherry have all given up. This is what the preferred after work spot of BB3k, the picnic table on the deck, looks like today.Turning slightly to the right to more clearly show the carpet of leaves on the ground in the yard.Roseville has a leaf pick up program, perhaps the greatest municipal service in the history of municipalities. We only have to gather the leaves into a large pile in the front yard. The city comes by with a vacuum truck and, voila, no leaves. No bending over to pick up leaves, no holding the bag open, no hauling to the recycling center. Just rake and watch. Life is good.

And one final view of just the yard, we are going to have a large pile of leaves.For example, here is our 2006 pile, photo taken November 6, 2006.Moohoo and BB3k for scale, although to be accurate it was more like BB2.1k at that time.

Wireless helped us rake that year.Very sad times at Fat Cyclist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed.

The SLO's would love your leaf pile.