Sunday, November 2, 2008

Standard time

TOPWLH and TPWUTLH can both confirm that I prefer to do the seasonal re-setting of clocks as soon as I get home from work on Friday. It seems to me that the significance of the change is most related to when it is you have to get to work (what else are clocks for?) so my preference is to get the clocks changed as soon as possible so that you can start adjusting.

After monumental complaining from the above two individuals, most notably from the first, not so much from the second, I don't do that so much anymore. But what goes around comes around and today I received payback as I had a couple of clock related moments of confusion while riding. I have the clock function on my bicycle computer set to DST. This is as it should be seeing as probably 98 percent or more of the time I spend on that bicycle is during DST. I don't set it to standard time when it comes around, why bother? The season will be over in another minute or two.

So today while I was riding I was startled on two separate occasions when upon checking the clock function I discovered, I thought, that it was at least an hour later than I expected it to be. *sigh*

Here's a major, major sign of the season. The hockey boards are up at Langford Park.Into the face of a south and west wind I rode over to the river today. It was another day of much above average temperatures, into the mid-60s, perhaps even threatening 70. I had one more of my more or less regular rides and regular hills that I had not yet ridden since hurting my back. Today I finished off that final bit of business by riding to the river, including from the Saint Anthony Avenue hilltop at Desnoyer Park all the way down to the river and then a few miles later and after a turnaround back up that daunting hill. The hill was, to be sure, a tiny bit harder today than it was when I was a regular over there in midsummer, but it wasn't anything like a major problem. I felt good, I was plenty strong enough.

I rode to a turnaround at the Ford Parkway Bridge. This is a view upstream from that bridge towards Lake Street, Saint Paul on the right, Minneapolis on the left side.I have reached the major mileage milestone. The only thing left is to ride a percent or two above the goal, mainly to obviate any negative effects which could result from possible odometer error.

It is best to be absolutely certain that you have ridden the miles that you claim you have ridden. Today I got a good portion of that one percent over my annual goal. I also got my 160th ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, nice ride, good story, great river photo.

Odometer errors can go both ways, of course.