Sunday, September 7, 2008

Well, of course

I am trainable but my retention of training is not good. After a short break from routine I almost always require re-training.

So, of course, when the weather suddenly went cold I had absolutely no idea what to do. I was so completely flummoxed that the only thing I could think of was stay in the house where it is warm. I contemplated what extra clothes to carry along in my jersey pockets while riding to deal with the problems of possibly getting cold but couldn't ever get comfortable with any of the various plans. The solution I settled on was that I stayed in the house where it was warm.

But a comment on yesterday's entry from someone calling herself "gfr" reminded me that when the weather turns cold you overdress. Make sure you are warm, you can always take something off. Well, of course.

Today it rained, rained hard just shortly before noon. I was pretty sure at the time that riding was not going to be possible today. But it stopped raining fairly quickly and the sun promptly appeared. By about 2:30 it seemed dry enough and out I went.

I overdressed.

It was fine.

The only thing about overdressed is that with less efficient diffusion of body heat I find that I have to work harder. When the weather gets cold I become slow.

But it was nice out there, about 62, and usually, although not always, sunny. Towards the end of the ride I got back to the spot in the Fairgrounds pictured twice last week.The Fair is over. But today nearly a week into the non-Fair season there is lots and lots of Fair flotsam and jetsam still cluttering up the street.

One route home from the Fairgrounds leads through the Farm Campus. We all know that I have friends there.Fall has arrived. The miles are suddenly harder to accumulate. The evening lighting conditions are questionable and the weekend temperatures do not always cooperate. I am happy to have been sufficiently retrained so that once again I can ride. I love my bicycle.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Highly entertaining post.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Cows!

Anonymous said...

I also found this an entertaining post. Especially "we all know I have friends here."
I guess the women in your life have been very helpful lately . . . We love our bicycles also.
BB