Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ped X-ing

Friday was another beautiful day here. But as I drove home from work a raindrop hit my windshield. Yup, one raindrop.

I stood in the driveway and scanned the horizon. There were clouds visible in the direction from which the weather was coming which seemed clearly to be leaking precipitation. It was threatening where I was standing. I decided not to ride.

Officially, which is to say, in my bike log (as opposed to bike blog), I am taking this is a rain day. And it probably was, even though conditions during most of the time when I might have ridden remained only "threatening". It is also true that it rained enough at my house to make the driveway wet. Therefore, rain day.

The alternative version of this story is that yesterday was the first day that I tried to get through the whole day without any ibu. And I made it. But the complete truth is that I was in fairly significant discomfort for nearly every waking moment. I was in pain and not significantly motivated to ride.

Today was another day along the way towards healing. I hurt a little when I got up and never really improved through the morning TV. Even so I was determined to ride at noon. As soon as I had ridden far enough to get loose I started to feel better. Post ride I feel the best I have felt since before hurting myself.

I rode out towards the hills of Shoreview leading to the lakes tour. I didn't ride the tour but I did ride all the way up the hill to Lexington today, further than I have previously attempted on that route and that incline since the injury. I discovered that I could do the climb and I also discovered a mass of pedestrians on the "bike" trail along Lexington.The pictured walkers, only a paltry fraction of the hundreds filling the sidewalk, are participants in the Breast Cancer 3-day. Particpants walk 60 miles in three days and help raise millions of dollars for breast cancer research and patient support programs. Lots of the participants are clad in pink, the semi-official color of breast cancer fund raising.

And in important news from Ligue 1, former basement dwellers FC Nantes took the important first step towards respectability with a 2-0 home victory against Valenciennes, the first victory of the season for Nantes. Mamadou Bagayoko scored twice as Nantes escaped from the cellar to now stand 18th. Nantes is tied with Le Havre on points but still holds the position in the relegation zone because of inferior goal differential. Les Canaris return to action next Saturday as they travel to Normandy to face SM Caen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allez, Nante. A step in the right direction.

Healing does take time.