Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tour de France starts Saturday.

This is Saint Mathew's Episcopal Church in Saint Anthony Park. It has architectual significance for some reason or another which I would report if I could find my book. I do remember that part of the significance is that it faces three different streets. It also has significance for certain former residents of the Twin Cities as the site of a baptism or two.EDIT: My wife found my book for me. It was almost certainly where I left it but she found it.

The book says that this is the only block in the Twin Cities where there are back to back churches by the same architect, Clarence H. Johnston. The other is the Saint Anthony Park United Church of Christ from 1915. Saint Mathew's is from 1914. Both are more or less Gothic Revival in style and both had restorations and/or additions in the 1990s. Saint Mathew's on this side is across the street from College Park.

Today is July 1 and today I do have a milestone to report. I used to be better at taking these pictures as I remember at least one of them was actually in focus. But in any case, tonight I passed this mileage total on my primary bicycle.It threatened 90 today although I believe the official high is going to be recorded as 89. It was an extremely pleasant summer day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo on the mileage total. That's a long, long ride.

I remember seeing that church recently, though not quite that up close and personal. It's architecturally interesting, and was the home church of my in-laws. I have pictures -- some unbelieveably young people standing on the steps, holding babies.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it kind of weird that this is the second time that we have both posted photos of our ODO's on the same day, without having seen the other person's blog? SS