Wednesday, July 23, 2008

L'Alpe d'Huez

Today for the second time this Tour de France I took a day of vacation from work and stayed home to watch. Today was what the commentators labelled as the Queen of Stages, 3 out of categorie mountain climbs culminating in a mountain top finish at one of cycling's most famous venues, l'Alpe d'Huez.

As usual, France was spectacular. Highlights for me included the helicopter shot of the 21 switchbacks of l'Alpe d'Huez, the moonscape above the treeline at Col de la Croix de Fer and the spectacular mountain cataracts in the streams crossing the route of the tour.

The bicycle racing was also pretty compelling. Today's results set up the Saturday time trial as the decider of this year's Tour. It seems likely that the race will be close, very close, with perhaps as little as a few seconds separating first from second after over 2,200 miles of racing over 21 stages.

It all left me feeling pretty Euro and with plenty of time for an afternoon bicycle ride of my own. I came upon this scene in Saint Paul.The intersection of Iglehart and Wilder illustrates both the lush greenery of mid-summer and a most un-American solution to a traffic problem: the roundabout.

Crashes are always popular and I have added these two to my sidebar video link list. First is yesterday's diversion down the mountainside by John-Lee Augustyn. VeloNews reports that the bicycle HAS been recovered.

It is pretty scary looking but I personally find this excursion off the road by Frank Schleck at this year's Tour de Suisse to be even more unsettling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky and lucky.

It took until they got to the Alps for it to get interesting, but it did finally get interesting. I like both Cadel and Carlos, but I don't have the investment in any of them that I used to have.