Friday, July 11, 2008

Too hot, too windy, but no flat tire.

Yesterday I utilized the best possible method for derailing a string of two straight days with a flat tire. I didn't ride.

It rained during the day and it was still pretty wet when I got home. I took the day off. I should have also taken today off.

It was 91, humid, heat index 94, south wind 20-25 mph, all in all just darn hot and windy. I got a few miles in but it was hard.

We have been watching the Tour every day. If the guys that we have heard of before, Evans, Valverde, Menchov, if those guys are riding clean then there is absolutely no way that the previously unknown Schumacher is clean. He is too strong. He covers every move effortlessly. Dope. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

But there is this: "French police took Spaniard Manuel Beltrán into custody for questioning on Friday night following news that he had tested positive for the performance enhancing drug EPO. The 37-year-old Beltrán was taken away from the Hotel des Voyageurs, where he and the Liquigas team were staying. Police also searched Beltrán's hotel room."

Beltrán is best known to most of us as a former USPS and Discovery Channel teammate of the never tested positive 7 time Tour champion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping an eye on the tour, but have not watched much of it. You really think any of these guys are riding clean? Maybe, but some college did a study of how hard it is to avoid testing positive for EPO, and it concluded that it apparently isn't very hard. Also, I miss the days of the strong, disciplined teams. Drugs or no, the Discovery/USPS guys were tactically smart team riders. Maybe team CSC shows a little of that -- Perhaps when the road turns upward a little more consistently I'll watch more of it.

91 is too hot to ride. So is 88. 85 is okay if there's a wind.

Thanks for the inside the tour update.