Saturday, October 27, 2007

Weekend solo

There was a hockey game this afternoon so I had to try to get in a ride this morning. It was only about 42 when I headed out. TOPWLH has been a bit under the weather so I rode alone.

I have tinkered with the layers a bit but I had just exactly the right combination for today. I was warm, I was dry.

I have a different base layer than I have used in the past but I also have switched from fleece under the jacket to a windstopper vest. I am uncertain which of these changes to ascribe the effect to but in any case this is a set up which is now fine down into the low 40s.

It was a pretty day, the sun was shining. The breeze was mild out of the NW. This picture is taken shortly after the turn around. This is Sucker Lake, next upstream from Vadnais and always passed on the 8 lakes tour but pictured far less often.It seems obvious to me that the reason why this lake is pictured less often has not a single thing to do with whether or not it is deserving of a photo. It is a pretty nice spot.

I think I achieved a season high today. The road to Snail Lake goes abruptly downhill. I routinely achieve 30 or 31 mph on this hill. Today I turned to go down the hill and I also had a slight tail wind. It felt fast on the way down. When I checked the computer a few miles later and flashed through the various settings I was a little surprised to see a maximum speed of 33 mph. I don't keep track of such things but I think I would remember and I do not remember going that fast any time earlier this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find silk/wool/windstopper gortex to be a good combination at this point in the season. Very nice photo -- I like the late fall colors. Probably past 'peak' but still quite attractive. It looks calm. We seem to have a shortage of that here.