Thursday, October 4, 2007

Axis appearance

Here is a little reminder, taken last fall, of what is coming:I got home today and wanted to ride my bicycle. I got dressed and even got on my bike and rolled down the driveway. But something was clearly wrong.

Oops, flat tire. Sundown comes way too early now to allow time for fixing a flat and still getting in a ride. I considered my options. I could swap out the rear wheel for the rear wheel on the Crown Jewel. But as I recently told the flat land rider, you do not need a spare wheel when you have a spare bike.

I changed shoes and got the Axis down from the garage rafters. I pumped the tires (all the way up to 75 pounds!). And had a nice ride.

Nantes 0-0 Gueugnon. It is possible that the Canaries will eventually regret letting two important home points escape but for now it doesn't seem like too big a tragedy. Le Havre played on Tuesday and also played a scoreless tie. The two are equal on games played and Nantes holds first place by 2. Perhaps even more importantly, Nantes now leads the 4th place team by 6. Everyone wants to win the championship, of course, but the more significant long term goal is returning to Ligue 1. The top 3 will be promoted so margin over the 4th place team is the margin by which promotion is protected.

The season is now 10 games old, just over one-fourth of the 38 game season. Nantes has 23 points. Last year the third place team, the last promoted, finished with 70. Nantes looks to be in good shape for promotion.

Next up, Monday, at Dijon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back up bike -- a concept I use myself, usually because of foul weather. But you are correct, and I am not currently looking at wheel sets. That could change, of course. SS