Thursday, October 11, 2007

A lesser milestone

Today is the day on which I have often in the past attempted to ride my age in miles. The great flatlands rider points out, correctly I concede, that this is a quest which should be abandoned as the birth certificate has won.

But the intellect can still devise ways of tricking oneself. I set out today thinking long ride, something milestonish. The weather has been so uncertain lately that I have not ridden a whole lot this month. I have ridden enough that my fitness level is still good but I have ridden so little that today I felt very well rested. As I rode along feeling strong, even into the wind, I started doing math in my head.

I rode my age in kilometers.

It is only 62/100ths of the distance of my age in miles but it still ends up being my longest ride in a long time and perhaps the second or third longest of the year. So it still feels like a milestone.

I rode past the Town and Country Club. It is the oldest country club in Minnesota and reputed to be the second oldest still in the original location in the USA.It looks like it has been there a long time. Mature trees, well manicured fairways, the usual golf course stuff. You can tell it is a private club by the warning that if any riff raff think they can steal something the rich people will know about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, still a pretty durn long ride. Good of you to mention me in your blog. Those rich peope sure are uppity, aren't they? Glad to see you're still on your main ride and you remembered your water bottles. And glad you got in a ride today.

Anonymous said...

Yes, me too, especially since it is your birthday!! Happy birthday to you.
BB

Anonymous said...

Nice milestone ride. Or meterstone? Congratulations and happy birthday. TT