Saturday, May 5, 2007

Nantes 1: LeMans 1

I knew I could make it rain today if I tried. And eventually I did. As long as I stayed in the house the storm stayed just to our west. I was pretty sure that if I got on my bike and started down the road that it would begin to rain. I got a little more than a mile from the house before the first drops hit and managed to get home without getting very wet.

Nantes stays alive, but barely as Claudiu Keseru scored in extra time to rescue a 1-1 draw at LeMans. As best as I can determine from the game story on the FC Nantes website (in French) Nantes dominated play early but went to the half down 1-0 and were somewhat fortunate to keep it at that score until the late tally drew them even.

With only 3 games remaining the only sides outside the relegation zone still within mathematical reach of Nantes are Nice and Valenciennes. Nice now leads Nantes by 7 but did not improve themselves in losing 3-0 at AS Nancy. Valenciennes leads by 8 after falling 1-0 at Sochaux.

In England Manchester United wins the latest renewal of the Manchester Derby by defeating Manchester City at City 1-0. Chelsea is at the Arsenal in the Sunday game requiring a victory to keep the league chase alive until Wednesday's game when Manchester United visits Chelsea. Chelsea is 8 adrift with games at the Arsenal and home to ManU and Everton, needing all 9 points to overhaul ManU. ManU finishes at Chelsea and home to West Ham needing just a single point to clinch.

The FA Cup final still looms, of course, May 19 at Wembley.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That "in French" bit was so I would read it, right? :) And you are correct in your estimation. Doing well early on, then struggled and were extremely luck to score in the final minutes. But that one point will not be enough to get them out of last place, the article concludes sadly.


Sorry about the rain. It got nice later on though. Perhaps you can bike tomorrow.