Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Fast and strong

I have been a bit worried about average speed. I do not race, even against myself, but a comparison of average speeds so far this year to average speeds for most of last year was starting to make me feel, well, slow.

Today it got all better and in the process reminded me of why it got all better. I am a whole lot faster when there are no issues of heating and cooling to be dealt with. For example, staying warm takes energy. I have always found that I am slower when I ride in the cold. The converse is also true, overheating takes energy. I don't like being cold, probably I overdress. I don't overdress enough to perspire but I do overdress enough that it saps my energy. I am slower when I am overdressed.

Today was the first day when it felt like summer and when there wasn't any problem with staying warm or with staying cool. It was warm enough that I was dressed in only a sleeveless jersey and shorts, cotton socks and shoes, helmet and gloves, sunglasses. It was warm enough that no base layer, no jacket, no arm warmers, none of that stuff was needed. It was warm enough that I got that evaporative cooling thing going so I was not overheated.

I was fast. I was a full 1.1 mph faster than my previous fastest average speed for so far this year. WOOHOO. I feel fast, I feel strong. I came home, walked into the house and burst into a nice sweat. It felt very good.

I rode the full southern route, all the way to the Highway 5/West 7th Street Bridge across the Mississippi. Here is Fort Snelling, the Mendota Bridge and I am guessing a Northwest Airlines flight landing.The corn has been planted. I did not bother to photograph it because the only evidence that is visible is a new set of tractor and planter tracks in the field in a distinctly row pattern. There is no mistaking that work has been done in the field, but no green shoots poking though the soil just yet. I think it won't be long now, though. If I recall correctly from my tenth grade biology seed sprouting assignment, that corn will be fully sprouted within just a few days and should be peeking above the ground within 2 weeks.

Chelsea 0: Manchester United 0. Both sides presented something less than their top squads and played an apparently uninspired scoreless draw. After all there was nothing of consequence to contest today so they will wait to test each other in the FA Cup final.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Totally bloggable indeed...

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the fort and the bridge. How did you manage to paste the NWA plane into the photo?
Does the southern route take you over the Mendota Bridge?

Santini said...

That is a nice shot. I've been worried about speed, but haven't seen much increase as the weather has warmed. Some. It's strength related, and I seem to be taking a long time to build back biking strength this year.