Thursday, May 3, 2007

Crown Jewel 7,722: Look 7,747

I had a CLE today which means that I was downtown at the Bar Association CLE center. That meant I was able to have lunch with Wireless. She showed me the ropes at Au Bon Pain, a soup and sandwich joint in the City Center and then we walked through Dayton's and looked around a tiny bit before she had to go back to work. She was looking very IDS today and quite springlike in her new flowered blouse. Thanks for lunch sweetie, your Daddy loves you.

This is, I am pretty sure, Boyd's house. No, obviously not those Boyds. This is Paul Boyd, a guy I played softball with for many years on the Saint Anthony Park Lutheran Church fast pitch softball team. Roy pointed out the house to me when we were stopped on the street one day last fall (me on my bike, Roy on his way to Speedy for some carrots). These Boyds live in the Park, as the locals call it. On my southern route I ride over the highest hill in the Park and then downhill past Boyds before I head out south along Raymond towards the river. It looks to me like the Boyds have one of those maples that has the reddish leaves, a Schwedler maple, I think.The Look passed the Crown Jewel today for the most miles I have ridden on any bike. This is quite significant, obviously, and it reinforces yet again that the Look is my bike. When I first got it I was only thinking that I would ride it a bit and then revert to the Crown Jewel. The Crown Jewel is a spectacularly nice bike and I never imagined that I would ride anything else. I only got the Look because it was such a good deal and because I wanted to have a carbon bike before I got too old to have a carbon bike. I had no idea that it would be such a spectacularly nice bike. It is a great, great bike. I used to have bike lust fairly regularly but it seems to be gone. I already have a spectacularly nice carbon bike and I already have one of the nicest steel bikes ever made. I look at other bikes and all I can think is that I already have two bikes way nicer than any of those, why should I bother?

Also today the Look passed the Axis for most miles on one bike so far this year. It was a mileage milestone day.

And today for the first time I rode hard enough to make it hurt. Up until now when I got tired I just went ahead and gave in. But to get stronger at some point you have to stretch, you have to try to do the work even in the face of fatigue. Today I got tired and I went ahead and pushed anyway. It is a good kind of hurt, but today it hurt.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. I had fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning to ride with accumulating fatigue kind or rode farther and faster than last week kind? So Boyds have a place with a red maple and a flowering tree in the Park? Good milestones, too. It was a nice day, wasn't it?

Emily said...

Wireless also quite enjoyed the lunch. Thanks for coming to see me at work, Dad. We'll have to do it again some time. :) Sounds like you had a nice day for a ride too...

Anonymous said...

Nancy's Bianchi is still holding in the low 9,000's. So the LOOK will become the bike with the most miles on it in the family sometime this year, most likely. That's a TON of miles.

Anonymous said...

I see by your reader map that you have a fan in Japan. Rest assured that it is the long absent Pster. She reads from mid-Japan, very near Nagoya and Gifu as she follows an itinerary unknown to me.

Nice job passing your previous best mileage for a single bike. That is a long ton of miles.