Thursday, May 17, 2007

Horses

I forgot. Yesterday I saw horses.

Actually it isn't that unusual. I ride past the Fairgrounds fairly often and nearly every weekend there is a horseshow at the Coliseum. I have seen horses with riders dressed in formal dressage costume, riders in cowboy costumes, a show with riders in all manner of outlandish costume party costumes and even an Arabian horse show with riders dressed as, well, I guess they intended to be Arabs. Last week I saw harness horses with fancy carriages. Horses are common.

But yesterday I saw horses walking up the sidewalk at the farm campus. Yup, walking on the sidewalk. Next to the street, but walking on the sidewalk. They had riders and the riders had costumes, blue ones. Police uniforms.This is the Ford Dam, built in 1917 with the hydroelectric plant completed in 1924. The dam has provided all of the electricity to power the plant ever since and continues to be one of the principal assets of the company at the site. The hydro plant will almost certainly continue in operation and its 18 megawatt production (enough to power 10,000 homes) will continue to be put to some as yet unknown use.

It was 71 today with a light breeze from the south. It was one of the prettiest days in the history of days and it was a pretty nice ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur. It was one of the prettiest days in the history of days. We should bottle it and sell it to Michiganders.

Anonymous said...

Hydro-power! Nice choice.
Mounties?