Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Cooling through the 60s

68 and sunny should be warm enough. And it was warm enough at the start. But cooling through the 60s is not as nice a day as warming through the 60s. Again today I was right on the edge of not being warm enough when I got home. Getting the right gear on is tricky in the spring as the rapidly changing conditions leave you guessing at least a little bit. I must admit I was surprised to find that base layer, jersey and arm warmers were not quite warm enough for two rides that began each day with the temperature at 68.

I wasn't going to start putting the shrub pictures up until they are in full bloom. But I rode past the bush that had the very first flowers that I saw and the white flowers are gone. This reminded me of how brief this burst of color is. And there is also the issue of whether I will be back past these trees again before the bloom is over.

So here is a pair of trees on the regular route in Shoreview. I have seen them more beautiful but they look pretty good today.I thought that was it for today but then as I rode through the farm campus on the way home I came upon this large bed of tulips. Upon reflection I believe that the intent here is that these tulips be viewed as maroon and gold, the school colors. I must admit to me they look mostly yellow and red. But here they are anyway, Goldy's Tulips.
Sharp eyed observers may notice a return appearance by one of the cow statutes in the upper left corner of the photo.

AC Milan proved too big an obstacle for Manchester United, winning today 3-0 in Milan. Milan's Brazilian superstar Kaka had the first goal after scoring both goals for Milan in last week's 3-2 loss in Manchester and may well have clinched European Player of the Year and maybe even World Player of the Year.

Liverpool v. AC Milan in the final, I believe May 23 in Athens. Manchester United and Chelsea still have two big games against each other, May 9 at Chelsea in the penultimate game of the regular season, and May 19 in the FA Cup final at the newly reconstructed Wembley Stadium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty shrubs. And tulips. Ah, spring.. Except for the cold part. Love, love that cow statue.