Friday, September 11, 2020

Searching through a drawer full of gear.

It was 80 something the last time I rode.  We have had a couple of days when it rained and every day it has been chilly.  Today was nice enough to try to ride again.  At 3:20 at the Cattle Barn it was 57.

So two things there, yes, the Fairgrounds have reopened.  And 57 isn't really that big a problem.  I have the gear.

But gear the first time each fall involves searching through that drawer full of stuff.  I needed a long sleeved jersey, a base layer, gloves, bib tights, longer socks, a heavier under helmet head covering, and, of course, a fall jacket.

It takes a while.

But I got it all on and got out the door before dark.  TOPWLH took a commemorative photo and sent it along to our dafter.  Dafter's dafter viewed the photo and noted that I have cool bike shoes.  So life is good.

Today is a day full everywhere with moments and acts of remembrance.  Here is the fire department for the next town over dangling an oversized flag from a ladder truck over the major thoroughfare in town.

And here is the final rose, I have now published photos of all 20.

I saved this one for last because it is one of my favorites and because it is the only one of them that it would have been impossible for me to reach by bicycle.  It is located at the offices of a local construction company on the other side of one of the freeways.  The only public street from which this site can be accessed is that freeway.  I suspect that it might be possible to get there by riding through a parking lot and loading dock area of a warehouse adjoining the construction company but even that would involve a ride of several miles in often unpleasant traffic.

I visited this one in my car.

My favorite is the one published on July 19.  It has vibrant colors and the best location, on the hill above the lake in Central Park.

3 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I love this post, especially the reference to our dafter's dafter. The intro is also pretty great.

I like this flower but not a favorite. I also really like the one in Central Park. I will review them all and choose tomorrow since it is predicted to rain ALL day.

Retired Professor said...

So much to comment on. 57? That's too big a swing in temperatures all at once -- I prefer to work up to it. Or down to it, I guess. My last ride was around 65, warming a little bit as I rode. Long pants, long sleeves, Jimi's light weight windbreaker. I'm a sissy when it comes to cold, admittedly.

Your dafter's dafter is pretty funny. Your shoes would have been the last thing I noticed from that photo. Nice bike, funky wheelset.

September 11. It's beginning to feel less immediate. Grief last a long, long time though. I don't think we're done remembering that loss.

Thanks for all the roses. I have really enjoyed the journey. And I agree with you on the July 19 rose -- I haven't done a thorough search, but it was one that stuck in my mind.

Anonymous said...

COOL BIKE P