Sunday, September 13, 2020

Summer kit

We had visitors for lunch which delayed my start.  I ended up being out there in the warmest part of the day which today ranged from 68 at the Cattle Barn near the start to 72 at the insurance agency near home near the end of the ride.

68 is a really comfortable temperature for biking.  I spent a good amount of time trying to decide if 68 feels nicer the first time in the spring when temperatures are rising or in the fall when temperatures are falling.

No final decision was reached.

I was riding through the Fairgrounds noticing things like how different it looks over there in this year of no Fair compared to how it usually looks during September.  I came upon these two characters along the street in front of the Horse Barn, across the street from the Sheep Barn and just up the block from the Cattle Barn.

If you magnify the picture you might be able to see 68 at the Cattle Barn at 3:48.  But the picture of Paul and Babe is significant because they were also featured in my State Fair review post from the Fair of 2019.

I had stopped there for my mid-ride sit down.  I think that stone portal may have been placed there for the recent Fair food parade.  There is a mailbox just off frame left containing sales brochures.  That stuff could not have been there since last year's Fair, could it?

Our visitors reported on conditions in their neighborhood in the city across the river.  I bet they don't have anything on their street quite like this.
I see the remains of lots of broken car windows when I ride through the parking lots up at the Snail Lake Regional Park but usually all I see is the broken glass littering the pavement long after the car has been driven away.

These people better get on that, although they may have a bit of time.  Predictions of probability of rain remain quite low for most of next week or so.

It was a beautiful day and lots of people were out in it.  There was what appeared to be a youth lacrosse tournament playing out at McMurray fields.  Of further note, also visible is the warning track and outfield fence of the baseball field in the corner where an adult recreational baseball game had just concluded.

I know they are outside and that makes things safer but the sight of that jam packed parking lot makes me queasy.

It was a beautiful day, so nice that I went without all of that gear from a couple of days ago and rode in summer costume, OOTNDITHOD, a great day to be out riding.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I agree that it was OOTNDITHOD. Including the time spent on the deck having lunch with our dafter and her dafter and running around the house and the field with them (so much fun) and my afternoon walk and reading adventure at Lake Johanna, I spent over 5 hours outside today. Yay.

Great highlight pictures from your ride. I recognize all the settings except the street the vandalized car is on. Nice ride.

I think 68 feels even better in the spring, although today it almost felt like spring because it's been so chilly the last few days.

Retired Professor said...

68 to 72 is pretty nice. With a little luck, that will be our weather soon.

The fairgrounds photos re interesting -- that's the most unique mid ride sit down site yet. Really pretty rock. The fall flowering shrubs are nice, too.

I worry about these kids and their fall sports -- we don't know what we don't know. OSLO and the Grands were here yesterday for a couple of hours and I wore my mask -- in my garage. Not while I was eating pizza, but still. They all seem to be willing to carry on with their modified and restricted lives. And mask up to use my bathroom. Who'd have thought.

Our high schoolers are required to wear masks while playing team sports -- don't know how that's going to work out. It's a global experiment.