Monday, September 21, 2020

Change of season

Fundamentally there are two seasons, the season when there is more daylight than night and the other season.  Tomorrow is the solstice. (edit: at least the commenters were aware that tomorrow is actually the equinox)

But enough about that.

With today's ride I succeeded on a throw away line from the 1st of this month.  I have now ridden more miles in this month than in any previous month this year.  This is partly the early start this month but probably more importantly this is a product of slowly increasing fitness.  To illustrate, I do not this month have the largest number of rides for any month this year.  Fewer rides but more miles per ride.  I need two more rides this month to equal the largest number.  This still seems quite likely but I am not there yet.

All the weather sites said it was nice out today so I really only checked starting temperature and wind direction and headed out.  Oops.

I was less than a mile from home when a gigantic clap of thunder intruded.  Ordinarily that would be enough to get me right back into the house.  This time by the time I got turned around and headed towards home there was an emerging large expanse of blue so I stayed out.  And stayed close to home.

I didn't get rained on but interestingly I rode through lots of places where it had rained.  I tried to get a picture showing the contrast but I wasn't too sure how well wet pavement would photograph.  Given that, I was able to document 70 degrees at 3:28 at the Cattle Barn.

I had mostly been JRA so I was ready for a sit down.
I will be keeping an eye on the section of the newspaper that reports sunrise and sunset.  It was 12 hours and 5 minutes today.  The dark season is looming.

5 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I thought the solstice was Dec. 21. I don't like thinking about the dark season looming, but I guess it is. Luckily (hopefully?) we still have a bunch of really nice days coming up.

Norah ran around near the Natural Resources building the year before we had our sit downs on our own bench. We sure have had many great times over the years at the fair.

Retired Professor said...

Equinox, equal day and night.

Gino said...

Right, equinox. 12 hours 7 minutes from sunrise to sunset today.

Retired Professor said...

It’s encouraging to see how much fitness you’ve regained this season, I may have to throw away my atorvastatin.

Barbara Elvecrog said...

RP, My doctor recently replaced atorvastatin (40 MG) with Crestor (20MG). It just became generic and muscle weakness/soreness is not one of the side effects. I am just starting it so will update you via text in a couple weeks. I like being on a statin because of my narrowed artery.