Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Meanwhile, elsewhere on the internet

TOPWLH recently posted something about the relatively nearby and immensely historical Catholic cemetery.  She received a commented complaint that she left out one of the  most significant markers in the cemetery and was referred to me, of all people, for guidance on correcting this oversight.

Well.

So today I set out to try to be helpful.

During the time when I was out it was another gorgeous day.  The temperature topped 80 for the second time since the last 80 of the year was declared a couple of weeks ago.  But truthfully, the average high is now only 69 and 82 is a really nice day.  The colors are coming, getting a bit more noticeable every day.  There are now lots of yellows and some pretty striking examples of maple trees going orange.  I was taking my mid-ride sit down when I got this photo.

That is an oak tree and won't be changing for a bit yet.  The lighting and the shadows are really outstanding.

So I was sitting down.  That part of the monument behind my bicycle looks a lot like a bench to me and when you are standing next to it in the middle of a couple of hours of vigorous exercise it is definitely a bench.

I am pretty sure this one wins the award as largest monument in the cemetery.  It isn't the tallest, I don't think, but for pure bulk this one seems the largest to me.

According to the morning newspaper still 12 hours and 6 minutes between sunrise and sunset.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

The Hamm monument! Thanks for finding and photographing it and it did make the perfect sit down bench.
Fabulous cemetery and lovely photos.

Retired Professor said...

I like cemeteries, they tend to be lovely and peaceful. This sunrise to sunset deal is confused by how it’s measured, I believe. Sunrise is when the first bit edges above the horizon, sunset is when the last bit slides below the horizon. This skews it to longer daylight, by a few minutes. Or so I have been told.