Monday, June 8, 2015

The shorter way is hilly

Where we live is definitely glacial terrain, the dominant topography is what was left behind when the ice melted.  Ice melts, streams form, land forms are eroded but mostly what you discover is that the under side of the ice was not smooth.  The land is certainly not now mountainous but it rolls, it positively rolls, up and down, up and down.

The short way is not the preferred route to Lake Vadnais because the long route goes around some of the most annoying up and down.

I rode out there again today and the route that I took featured only probably one stretch requiring shifting down into a lower gear.  It was mostly flat.

I arrived at Lake Vadnais at 16 miles into the ride, a fairly major departure from yesterday's less than 10 miles.  Fortunately I knew I could get home from there in less than 10, by riding the shortest possible route.

I had the wind but the back half of today's ride featured some ugly moments on the way up mostly short but always uphill uphills.

Anyway I rode past these wild flowers along the road into Sucker Lake at the absolute top end of the ride.
It was warmer today by a little bit which I suppose is at least part of the reason why some haze formed leaving less than ideal blue sky.  Still it was pretty nice at Lake Vadnais.
That's Lake Vadnais on three straight rides.

I don't know, that's almost like old times.  I guess I should feel strong but I really don't yet.  The winds are still spring like for the most part and riding in the wind is always a test.

1 comment:

Santini said...

As expected. Those short(ish) steep ups and downs are hard. A longer more gradual grade is much preferred. I've always suspected that Vadnais is lower than where you live -- closer to sea level. The return trip always felt uphill. (net)