Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Lost and found at Lake Vadnais

It appears to me that I have lost my way on the whole concept of riding towards the south.  We have had a very persistent pattern of northerly winds, some northwest and some northeast but really all from the north.

This time of year that is OK because in mid-summer, which is where we are, even north winds are mostly warmish.  The issue is velocity at this time of year and unpleasant velocity is possible from any point of the compass.

The big redo at Lake Vadnais a couple of years ago included removal of several majestic old cottonwoods to make room for that bicycle path there and an alignment of flat stones to separate the path from the street.  I mostly ride on the road although there are several places out there where particularly on week days I find it completely acceptable to ride the MUT.  When there are only a few other people about it is possible to get around out there on some really scenic paths.

But today I noticed a little lost and found action of one of the flat stones.
I stopped and examined them, they appear to be drug store readers, cheap frame mounted magnifiers of the sort usually referred to by persons of my vintage as "cheaters".

I noticed some wildlife.  The wildlife he be very shy.  I tried the old sneak behind the tree and wait to see if they come out the other side trick.
This wildlife, he be much too smart to fall for that trick.

Mallards, a nice family grouping.

It is pretty out there.  Today was mostly cloudy and only about 70, a bit on the cool side, but when the sun came out as I traversed the Grass Lake MUT I went ahead and stopped for a photo.
Incidentally, the Grass Lake MUT has received the GRider's Seal of Approval.

It is always a little guilty bit of pleasure to find something like that right here in the big, big city.

Most miles in June since 2011.

1 comment:

GRider said...

Yes, I heartily approve of the Grass Lake MUT (it is so pretty and relaxing). Seems like it was a lovely day for biking--too bad I couldn't go along. I like riding north and hope to see the great blue heron there again some time.