Friday, June 12, 2015

Ferrell

We had rain most of the day yesterday which was fine with me, I need rest days more often than I used to and yesterday was a fine rest day.  TOPWLH had other plans anyway, plans that involved her packing up the car and driving to Wisconsin.  I was left alone with nothing to do so I rested.

Today on the other hand was a fine, fine day.  TOPWLH had not returned so I worked off my solitude sadness (I just made that up, nice one, eh?) by riding my bicycle.  I explored an alternate route through Acorn Park but discovered that I prefer the direct route through the frisbee golf thing despite the occasional flying saucers.

I got home to discover that my package had arrived.

Today I am wearing my France 2010 FIFA World Cup t-shirt.  It is one of my favorites, it was a gift from the TCWUTH shortly before that futbol event began 5 years ago, probably a Fathers Day gift is my guess.  Or maybe she just thought I needed a new t-shirt.  One day recently I realized that it is one of my newer t-shirts despite the fact that as the date indicates it is at least five years old.  World Cup 2010 was the one held in South Africa.  Brasil hosted 2014.  I must add that I have several nice poly shirts, at least one purchased as recently as our trip to Flo-Rida earlier this annum, but in cotton my France FIFA shirt is among the newer.

My ancient cotton t-shirt reminded me of the comment made by Mike Ferrell of Mike's Pro Shop about shirts with dates on them.  Ferrell by the way is not the Mike of Mike's Pro Shop.  That would be Mike (Schmidt).  Ferrell is Ferrell.  Ferrell said he would see someone with a shirt with a date on it from a few years ago and want to ask that person, "Don't you ever shop?"

I considered that and I was chastened.  Apparently I never shop.  People who know me well already knew that.  But I have internet access and a credit card so I shopped.
As you can see, that's all better now. If I should happen to bump into Ferrell tomorrow there will be no worries about covering part of my t-shirt with my hands to avoid embarrassment.

TOPWLH arrived home later this afternoon.  I resumed my role as chief procurer and preparer of edibles.  I am chief but I am not sole, she does lots of the parts and one of the parts she does is mushrooms.  Mushrooms were required for this evening's repast so she was busy indoors when I noticed these in our backyard.
It probably goes without saying that there is lots and lots of shade in our back yard.  Anyone know if those are edible.  Because I am not going to find out any other way than someone else showing up and hauling them away to be eaten by those unknown third parties.

We will NOT be experimenting with backyard mushrooms.

How about these?
It sure looks like two different species to me.

Here in Minnesota these are what I refer to as Japanese lilacs.
I believe there is some exotic blooming schedule, like not every year.

There is a whole two block long row of those things over on County Road C, a block or so on each side of Snelling.

People as old as me will remember that County Road C and Snelling was the location of the Rose Drive-In Theatre.  My bank is currently located quite near to where the screen was in 1967 or so.

*sigh*

4 comments:

Jimi said...

The only mushrooms that are not poisonous (in my humble opinion - IMHO) are those one buys in a bona fide grocery establishment. Those in your yard are by definition hazardous to your health. IMHO.

What does it say on those well packages tees?

Santini said...

I know a couple of people who forage for and eat morel mushrooms, but I am not one of them. They are both still hale and hearty, so there's that. Morels look a lot different than typical mushrooms, from the photos I've seen. (I'm still not going to eat them.)

How about dwarf and/or miniature lilacs, since you're up on lilac varieties? Those small fragrant ones are definitely different from the standard lilac bush, but not the same as the Japanese.

I wondered the same thing as Jimi about the tee shirts -- they look blank to me. Not a bad way to go. Though cotton tees look better on men than they do on me. I like a mixed blend, myself.

Gino said...

I concur on the whole don't eat the mushrooms that grow in your yard. I will be watching to try to see if the squirrels and rabbits take the same approach. Seems like rabbits in particular will eat anything.

No words on any of the shirts this time.

Emily M said...

New t-shirts are good, plus the lack of a date or words on them means you can hold on to them for quite some time. No need to fear judgement from Ferrell.