Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wait a minute

OK, just a couple of things before we move on.  Something about this past weekend and the upcoming weekend has occurred to me.  We officially celebrated Memorial Day this past weekend.  What's up with that?  May 30th is Saturday, couldn't we just celebrate Memorial Day on Memorial Day and give people the following Monday off from work?

I mean, what's up with that?

The other thing is there is a guy walking around inside my house wearing shorts.  I am not sure what to think.

Three straight days of rain in a May already a bit short of miles is likely to make a bicyclist a bit anxious.

But today was a fine day for riding and a full summer costume ride occurred in mostly mid-afternoon.

I got another comparison photo.  This is Saint Anthony Falls, sort of.  It is what engineers have constructed at the former site of Saint Anthony Falls.  Even given its historical shortcomings that is a lot of water dropping off a concrete shelf onto the riverbed below.
I made my first visit to the stadium used by the local professional baseball franchise.  My first visit this year was on my bicycle although, truth be told, we had the opportunity to be inside the park today.  Alas, we both had previously scheduled events that precluded our attendance.

Twins 6, Red Sox 4.
Riding over there also means my first time this season through the UofM campus and across and down to and then across the Stone Arch Bridge.

It is impossible for a bicyclist to cross the Stone Arch Bridge without having some sort of conflict with a pedestrian.

It is inevitable.

The bridge just isn't wide enough.

Pedestrians make the uses of the bridge that their lifetime experiences tell them are appropriate uses for pedestrians.

There isn't enough room on that bridge for pedestrians doing that and bicycles traveling at anything over about walking speed.

And if you are riding your bicycle at walking speed, why aren't you just walking?

Here's a look at the Como neighborhood rain garden.
Fairly obviously the local flora are in full growth season mode.

77 at the Cattle Barn at 2:11, light WSW winds, a really nice day for a ride.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Holland's city fathers must agree with you -- the Memorial Day parade here is this coming Saturday.

Biking at walking speed? Mechanical advantage. Plus you get to sit down. I totally get it, myself.