Wednesday, April 22, 2015

New shoes

It has been cold for sure but it has also been extremely unpleasantly windy.  We have also had an occasion of what was probably best labeled as sleet and about 10 minutes the other day when it was flat out snowing and blowing snow, pretty ugly.  The possibility of bicycle content has been pretty low.  But I dug around under the chair and came up with the shoes I bought a couple of years ago when they went on an absolutely crazy price reduction sale.  I knew I would need them eventually.  I have had a lingering period of dislike with my old shoes.  The velcro has gotten iffy and now I am also dissatisfied with the position of my foot with relation to the pedal.  It feels like the left shoe has gotten old and no longer stiff enough to maintain proper foot position.  It feels like my foot has gradually migrated over to slightly not directly on top of the pedal.

Today's no bicycle riding day featured mounting of cleats and preparation of the new shoes.
Tomorrow's bicycle content still seems most likely to be chain lube but resumption of actual riding could well occur by no later than this week end.  In some ways, no worries, I already have more miles this year in April than I had last year in April.

5 comments:

Santini said...

Same deal here. Snow flurries all day yesterday. I theoretically can ride in the cold, or the wind, but I am not willing to ride in this ugly bluster of cold and wind.

Shoes, eh? Well, good job. Chain lube is scraping the bottom of the barrel, unless you've got something new. I suppose new chain and new cog count.

Carry on.

Santini said...

Your word verification thingy is totally weird this morning. Select all images of steak?????

Emily M said...

Santini - Select all images of steak? That sounds exceedingly odd. I just get the "I'm not a robot" check box.

GZ - Excellent looking new shoes. New cleats as well?

Santini said...

Emily -- I thought so too.

Gino said...

New cleats indeed.

I had to search around just a bit to discover where I had stashed the new shoes but when I opened the box I discovered that when I purchased the shoes I had also purchased a set of cleats and they were inside the box sitting on top of the paper over the shoes.

Those are the only two tools I needed, scissors to open the various plastic bags and then a Philips head screwdriver to install the shims to the shoe and then the cleats to the shims.