Thursday, April 16, 2015

Kitchen composition

Most often I compose the most significant parts of my blog post while out riding around.  It is a big part of what I love about bicycling, the opportunity to ride around not doing much that requires significant mental activity which allows me to just think about other stuff.

Today's post on the other hand was mostly composed while cooking well after the ride was over.

TOPWLH declared today that she was interested in having her bicycle prepared so that she too could get out and ride around.  I scoffed.  I have records, I could check but I don't really have to check to know that she probably has zero miles lifetime during the month of April.  She has a handful probably in May but June is when she usually gets out there.

But on the other other hand this year really isn't like most other years.  I myself already have more miles in April of this year than in April of last year.  And of course, I have March miles this year, something I did not last year.

The weather clearly isn't what the weather was last year.  Maybe, just maybe, we will have enough days when it feels warm enough and she will get her wish for an early start to her season.  Stay tuned.  One needs to keep in mind that it snowed just 7 days ago.

Then there is this.
I fully recognize that this is not in the same league as an earlier view of the early spring falls as seen elsewhere on the internet.  But I do have to ride over there on my bicycle in order to get a picture and today was the first time that riding over there on my bicycle was an actual option.  I think it is still a bit interesting as that is probably the last two patches of free range ice and snow still existent in either of the two giant cities just to south of where I live.

It was about 68, not a good snow preservation temperature.

I never noticed this before.
LBJ visited the Falls in 1964 amid some controversy.  There was a drought so in order to provide the POTUS with a spectacle water was pumped into the creek upstream of the Falls.  Apparently this is where he was standing for the photo opportunity.

I find it interesting that he appears to have been wearing square toed shoes.  Remember those?

I passed through University Grove on the ride out.  Maybe these are going to be coming fast and furious.  Here is the first not white flowering shrub.
Hooray for yellow.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Great photo of the falls.

Forsythia!

It looks like Mother Nature will be imposing some rest days soon.