Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Across the Green Line

Another day too nice not to ride.  Yesterday was long pants and a jacket, today was short pants and arm warmers.  The temperature rose during the ride and eventually I pushed down the warmers and my arms were bare too.

A wind shift led me off towards the south.  Chastened by yesterday's punishing overreach I had no destination in mind for today although clearly there are places that I ride to a lot, destinations, off in that direction.  Even without a destination in mind I made it the farthest south I have been so far this spring.  I got across University and a short distance down into the big city.  I took a break on the way back and waited for the train.
Some will notice that I was waiting in the shade in front of a store which caters to the cat crowd.  Others will notice that there is a bicycle sales emporium on the far side of the street.

Then as I neared home I passed this milestone.
I always think round numbers are fun, especially big round numbers.

Achieving that mileage probably crystallizes my mileage goal for the year.  Very clearly I need at least 2,000 more miles on that bicycle before the snow flies.

Today was only hard (which is what it is supposed to be).  Yesterday was excruciating.  Today was better.

Esoteric bicycle content follows.

I ride around looking down at just about that view a lot.  I have often commented to myself but never on this blog about the warning posted on the stem bolts.  Maximum 5 Nm, 5 Newton meters, about 3 foot pounds.  I am always a little surprised by that, that isn't much force at all.  Please note that I am the owner of a torque wrench and when I installed that part I torqued it to 5 Nm.  It has never slipped so clearly that is enough.

3 comments:

Santini said...

12,000 on the Axis? More than I would have guessed for an off season bike.

Warm is good.

Emily M said...

We own three separate items from that cat crowd store. The cats are big fans.

Gino said...

I expected the cat crowd to check in.

That's 12,000 on NewLOOK. Don't be deceived, that is an XAxis model Ritchey stem mounting the NewLOOK bars. I think the Ritchie people may have been alluding to the stem being on the x-axis of the bicycle. Which I suppose is intuitively correct but on the other hand I don't tend to think of any of my bicycles in relation to graph paper and x and y axes.

On my Axis I have a Bianchi stem (of course).