Friday, June 7, 2013

Where seldom is heard

I know it rains.  I ride a bicycle.  I know it rains.

But every time it rains this year the storm stalls out and it rains for THREE DAYS.  This is getting a little discouraging.

Today had some sun in the morning but at the time I wanted to gear up and ride some of the ugliest looking sky ever seen arrived and hunkered down as if to stay.  Did I mention cold?  60 at the cattle barn.

Decent weather apparently will never arrive but that doesn't mean that THIS season is going to be skipped.
That's a part of town where I don't ride all that much so maybe . . .

They always throw down way too much oil and extend it well out onto the adjacent street, an area referred to by bicyclists as the "bike lane".  Little pieces of oil coated crushed rock to stick to the bicycle tires.
I turned back.

See what it says on the truck there?

"Computerized rate control".

Which brings to mind the computer adage that I know:  "Garbage in, garbage out."

I had to eventually break one of the cardinal rules of grown up bicycling.  I got too far down the road there hoping to find a way around.  Eventually I had to just ride back.  If I rode on the grown up side of the road I would at each and every intersection be riding through that oil gravel mix.

I salmoned.

And it felt stupid.

But I found this.
Jim Janos was elected governor of Minnesota in what?  1998?  That rusted out pick up was probably already rusty by then.

I have not seen a Ventura for Governor sticker since then, in fact, I may not have seen one even then.  It was not a real campaign, it was a joke, no one was more surprised by the win than Mr. Janos himself.  Now he says he may well run for President.  Of the United States.

In other bike lane news, the bike lane sign has been put back up.
Nice looking sky though.  Seeing as the bike lane has ended it is way OK for that mail truck to be parked blocking the only safe place to ride on that street.  Technically way OK, in real life quite inconsiderate to not at least try to get all the way over to the curb.

As has been the case all year, bicycling season has resumed after yet another discouraging delay.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

"Home, home on the range." That song may be stuck in my head for quite some time now, thank you very much.

I checked the regional radar before I headed out on a ride today, and it looked dry where you are. Not the whole story, apparently.

Chip and seal is evil.

In Port Charlotte the street that leads to the beach has a bike lane that ends abruptly, just before a sharp curve. On a very narrow street. With minimal warning. I find it annoying. Take the lane to an intersection, or don't bother to put one in at all. Idiots.

Salmon? Rules don't cover all possible situations. Even the one against salmoning.

Jimi said...

I've heard that Jesse is residing in Mexico most of the year. That doesn't mean he won't run for President, but it usually keeps him away from the media. He was in town lately, I think.

TOPWLH said...

I kind of like the love Revolution stencil.