Friday, June 14, 2013

Flag Day

I know at least one corn field that is not going to be sprouted by Flag Day as they were planting it today when I rode past.

After a beautiful morning a "system" moved through beginning at about noon.  It never actually rained but it was too windy for bicycling.  Bicycling isn't much fun in the wind.  I spent the first half of the ride battling upwind trying to find a place from which I could enjoy the second half of the ride.  I did all of this amid a gathering expectation of rain.

It came out OK, I felt strong, I felt fast, it didn't actually rain.

Off again, on again, gone again.

The passing of the "system" can be traced through the flag photos I compiled on Flag Day.

The first one is right at the end of the block where I live.
It is still sunny and the wind isn't blowing much.

I didn't want to get too far from home but eventually circled out through Falcon Heights.  This one is across Snelling but before you get to Larpenteur.
Still a little sun but the wind has picked up.

This is a house in Saint Paul near Como Park where I was expecting to find something different.  These people fly a flag every day but most often it is a Norwegian or a Finnish flag.  Today they knew it was Flag Day and put out the stars and stripes.
 Not any sun at all any more, the wind is still pretty strong.

I saw flags at all the places where there are always flags, on schools and on some commercial buildings but limited myself to flags on houses.  I saw probably a couple of dozen and all but one was a US flag.  The one exception was not of any country that I recognized, it was oddly and brightly colored, looking more like a freak flag than a national emblem.  It was probably the flag of Tralfamadore.

Every bicyclist expects to confront some road construction during road construction season.  I just seem to be running into more than my share this year.  This is an important part of the stay close to home loop.
It's not totally bad though, you can just make out the marked detour sign at the edge of the photo.  And being as this is in the part of the city that is exclusively gridded I can dodge around that construction without any difficulty.

4 comments:

Santini said...

Flag Day -- good theme.

They've quite planting corn here -- too late in the season. All of the planting that is going on here now is soybeans. Or so I'm told.

You've ridden multiple days in a row.

Gino said...

Well . . .

It seems like it to me to but a review of the bike log (which is why we keep a bike log, so that it can be reviewed) shows off again, on again.

Last two days in a row, then a miss, then two days in a row, then a miss, then two days in a row (and then three days in a row OFF).

6 out of the last 8 but not yet 3 in a row since May 23, 24, and 25.

Gino said...

And just be way of noting, before May 23 I missed SIX days in a row because of rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, and rain (according to the log).

Santini said...

Interesting that you log your off days, and the reason why.

Given that you are feeling a solid level of bicycling specific fitness ("I feel strong, I feel fast") -- one could reasonably assume that rest days make you stronger. Of course, it is mid June.