Monday, June 10, 2013

Ahhhhhhhh

Today was advertised as being warmer but . . .

It was cloudy and felt like rain the whole time I was out riding.  But as I neared home a loop through the Fairgrounds surprised me with 70 at the Cattle Barn.  And as I compose this blog post it is positively pleasant outside.  The sun has appeared and that Cattle Barn temperature is not the high for the day.

Not OOTNDITHOD but OOTNDIALT.

I passed this sign on my loop through the Fairgrounds.  I was amused.
Unrestrained speed is usually not a good thing but, come on, 5mph?  That's a 12 minute mile.  It's a speed exceeded by a large percentage of those getting exercise by walking or jogging (or wogging).  It's a speed at which keeping a two wheeled vehicle upright requires considerable concentration and a bit of good fortune.  It is, I believe, approximately Elvecrog Speed.  Today on my bicycle I went ahead and exceeded the speed limit.

Shortly thereafter I was hit by several drops of water.  Long time followers will know that drops of water force me into sprint mode as I take the absolute shortest route home at the maximum speed that my fitness level allows.  Today not so much.
It seems to me that as wet as the spring has been that the sprinkler system at the cows may be a bit unnecessary.  Of further note for anyone who wants to take a close look, someone has draped a collar around the neck of one of the cows.

As further evidence that watering the grass is not yet necessary, here is the state of the corn.
The corn is obviously way behind where it has been in years past.  The reason is that it has been TOO WET.

The sun was breaking though at this point giving a nice shadow interplay across the field.  I like the different shades of green.

I was riding near Lake Owasso earlier in the ride when without any warning of any kind the street I was riding on, in the middle of a block, suddenly turned into a street that had been chip and sealed.  Just suddenly loose gravel.

Obviously I turned back immediately and once clear of the oil stopped to remove oil covered pebbles from my tires.

But apparently there is no escape, here is today's catastrophic road construction news.
If you go down to end of the block where we live that street does not continue directly across the street down there.  Due to the idiosyncracies of suburban development you have to go about half of a short block either north or south to find a continuation of the street.  Taking that half block to the south and you find this going on a tiny bit over a block from my house.

That pretty much guarantees that the cars who will soon be driving through that oil will be carrying the pebbles on their tires when they make the turn and come down our street.

I am trying to stay away from that stuff but it appears to be coming after me.

And a final bit of construction news, we are wondering when the men are going to come and clean up the mess left after last summer's storm water run off project.
We now have a gully next to our house which maybe won't be so bad once it revegetates.  They could go a long ways towards improving our reaction to the project by FINISHING it pretty soon.

By the way, TOPWLH does the summer yard work and she has been mowing a bunch of land out there which does not belong to us.  When they were actually doing the work last summer they ostentatiously posted survey sticks showing where the line is.  Almost nothing of what you see belongs to us despite the fact that only a small strip of FOOT TALL DANDELIONS has been left to fester on our side of the fabric fence.

No use complaining, it is too nice out.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Nice ride report. Still love the cows. The collar is okay, but does the middle cow really need a blankey?

That corn is sad.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the chip and seal isn't out to get you.

One of the nicest days in a long time -- I hope it hangs around for a while.

TOPWLH said...

Thanks for figuring out the new acronym. I like it. My recent favorite is TMFR.

Great post, GZ. Love the photos. I may send the one of the gully next to our house to the city attorney I have been complaining (nicely) to. She promised progress by the end of this week.

Retired Professor said...

TMFR is what is forecast here for tomorrow. 4.35 inches between tonight and Thursday morning. I do hope they are wrong. Nice acronym, though. Pithy.