Friday, June 21, 2013

Six in a row is almost a week!

A parade of thunder boomers rolled through overnight accompanied by waves of rain.  I have heard reports of power outages and sleep interruption but MY actual first reaction upon being awakened was rest day.  I went right back to sleep.

It was wet when I got up.  The heavy overcast was forecast to burn off creating hot and humid conditions leading to another round of storms for tonight.  It was too wet for a morning ride and it figured to be too hot for a mid-day ride.

Rest day.

But the pesky overcast refused to burn off.  At noon it was 68 and although the humidity was high and rising, humidity is not in and of itself a disqualifying factor, especially at 68.

Six in a row.

September 22 through October 3, 12 in a row.  I don't think that one is in much jeopardy at this point.

It seems that a few of yesterday's topics are still open, at least it seems so to me. Here is another example of change wrought by the bridge falling down.
I don't ride down there very much as to do so requires venturing into some traffic a wee bit more extreme than is good for me and it's only worth a couple of miles anyway.  A ride down to the end and touring every single piece of pavement down in that neighborhood on the way back out never gets me even to four miles.  It really isn't worth the bother.

But down at the end of County Road B there used to be an intersection with Highway 280 and a traffic control device (stop light for we traffic amateurs). When they had an additional couple hundred thousand cars a day on that road the intersection was closed. When the bridge reopened people liked the fact that the neighborhood was way more peaceful without cars turning off the highway and racing past their homes at freeway speeds. The intersection has remained closed.  The change is SO dramatic down there that even part of the right of way has been abandoned and what was part of a county road is now a private drive.

And over in Lauderdale here is a place where you used to be able to merge onto the highway. Judging by the tire tracks through the weeds it looks as though an occasional person still does.
That was left open due to a need by city crews to access some facility out there in the right of way, a lift station if I recall correctly.

Here is a more complete look at the turn around here spot.
It is only a turn around, nothing else. The sign at the end of the car length incursion onto the lawn there warns that you shouldn't even think about it, you can't park there either.

The old cars are in town this weekend and eventually I filtered my way over towards Saint Paul to see if I could get a look. I never found a decent car viewing spot but I did ride past my favorite rain garden.
Looking mighty well advanced at mid-summer's night. As it should, there has been plenty of rain.

I discovered that in the big city they still call a dead end street a dead end street. No mere dead end, none of that new age no outlet for the capital city. Dead end street.
Although maybe I'm wrong.  What's the deal with dueling signs?  Dead end street on one side, merely dead end on the other.  Both sides of the street are Saint Paul.

I got home before it got hot. Good thing too, as a trip to the grocery store ended up with a teensy bit wobbly legged bicyclist milling across one of those giant asphalt parking lots with the heat rising in waves. It is muggy NOW and the predicted second round of thunder boomers seems like a good bet to me to actually occur.

Rest day?

1 comment:

Santini said...

The irises are nice. I seem to remember cardinal flowers from earlier years.

The dead end signs are strange.