Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Species with larger brain reverts to planning mode

While clearly the beavers are still in action mode.
I paused at the dam site long enough to discover that this bit of wildlife habitat is a veritable geezer magnet.  Bob bent my ear for over a half hour including discussions of the beavers, turkey hunting in southeastern Minnesota, a Ford tractor collector, new uniforms for the Rushford High School wrestling team, topography of the wetland (there is an island out there), mink in the area, turtles in the area, a black squirrel on a nearby tree branch (which we both agreed was a rarity), white tails in the area, white tails in the State generally, deer sheds and collectible cars.

Hey, it was plenty OK with me.  If I hadn't been having fun I had a perfectly good bicycle with which I could easily have escaped if I had felt burdened.  Bob had a bunch of interesting stories to tell and as is true with me, he had no where to go and all day to get there.

It was a geezer magnet as during the course of Bob's discourse 2 other gentlemen geezers and a geezer couple paused at least briefly to partake of part of the lecture.

Hey, I had a bicycle, I wasn't going anywhere except home to watch Russia 1:1 Poland on tape.

I had to wear a jacket today!

In addition to wetland wildlife I am pleased to report the return of both the blue and the white herons to Lake Vadnais.  I was lucky enough to get a photo of the great blue perched near to the shore.
Oh, oops.  I guess I didn't get that thing snapped in time to catch the big graceful bird before he tired of my photography attempts.

Even so, it was a pretty day out there and there were ducks.

About a mile earlier in the ride I listened to Bob and one of the short term geezers discussing whether or not there were any hen mallards and mallards chicks in the area.  Bob said that he hadn't seen any yet this year.

Both hens and a brood of chicks are visible in beautiful Lake Vadnais.

2 comments:

Santini said...

There's an island in Vadnais?

Bob -- isn't he the guy that took the group photos of us on TRAM?

Santini said...

"Not by a dam site?" Sound familiar?